1995 Fork tuning advice please.

FNG

May 2, 2008
1995 YZ 25, stock, fresh fork seals and 10W oil. I have played with both clickers and found what I believe to be the best I can get it for my riding style.

I am 6'4 220. I am getting better and find myself flying farther and higher, which means mistakes and hard landings:) I don't ride too hard and tend to roll most jumps in either 3rd or 4th. Your middle of the road weekend 40 year old I would guess by watching others ride.

My issue is my forks seem harsh on the slower stuff, decent on the mid stuff but still harsh and will bottom on the big hits maybe once per lap. I really want to soften things up through the entire stroke ut still maintain the ability to come up short and not bottom too hard.

1) will going to 5W oil and playing with the clickers some more make things softer on the slower stuff but maintain its' ability to take the big hits? I have read that adding 5cc of oil to each leg will help with bottoming.
2) If 5W will help but lose the big hit ability, do I need bigger springs?
3) I have ridden a buddies '05 YZ 250 F and it was amazing compared to my bike. Do I just need a newer bike?

Thanks for any help.

FNG

May 2, 2008
I will find some appropriate springs for my weight.

When I do and I install them, do you think 5W will get me closer to my goal or will I still need 10W for my size?

I will check where I have my clickers and add what I find to this thread. I think I am in the 3,4,5 range on compression and rebound but I will make sure. Not sure if this helps, but I will add it.

Again, thanks for any input.

Top Bottom