1995 KX80 Rear Shock Compression Adjustment

evenace2006

Feb 20, 2006
Hey everyone!

I'm pretty new to the site and dirtbikes in general and have been trying to find an answer to my problem, and I think I'm on the right track.

I have a 1995 KX80 small wheel and I'm trying to figure out how the rear shock compression adjustment works. The rebound adjustment (on the bottom of the shock) clicks around from full left to full right and it does seem to work which is good. BUT the compression adjuster doesn't seem to have a full left or right setting. I turn the screw and it has definite 'clicks' to it, but it just keeps turning and turning... I dont have an owners guide for it, but have ordered a workshop manual.

I found another post where somebody said that the compression adjuster on the KX100 is 'different' to normal bikes in that it turns a full 360 degrees then it's back where it started, and basically I was wondering if mine is the same?

I also tried to bleed a tiny bit of nitrogen out of the shock to basically see if there was any in there (just a tiny split second blip of the valve) and a tiny bit came out and now it's basically empty.. So I'm thinking that could be half of my problem. In any case I have removed the shock from the bike and am going to take it to my local bike shop to see what can be done to it. But they are a Yamaha dealer (no Kwaka dealers close by and my roadbike is a Yammie) and they weren't able to give me an answer about the compression adjuster continuously turning.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Mark

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
There is only 4 positions on that shock 12, 3, 6, 9, O'clock. 9 being the most compression or stiffest. And some of them do go round and round, its not a screw type, its has 4 holes in a valve so it doesn't matter if it keeps going around. Do yourself a favor and don't try to take the adjuster apart. You just have to figure out which position is the softer 12 or 6 then you will know where 9 is. Hope I didn't confuse you. Have it recharged or rebuilt then you should be able to tell with the spring off which postion is which.

evenace2006

Feb 20, 2006
Hey Minutz!

Thankyou so much for your helpful reply!! :nod: So my shock isn't damaged by being able to keep turning the compression adjuster around then? Now when I take it to get looked at, I might only need to have it recharged with nitrogen without having to take it apart, because when I rode it at the track the rebound adjustment seemed to be working, it's just that I didn't really know which setting was which with the compression because I thought that it was damaged so I didn't bother making any comparisons. Also I think that it having virtually NO nitrogen in it would have made the shock pretty soft and more likely to bottom out right?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom