nproud

Jul 30, 2012
hello everyone, i baught a 95 xr200r not to long ago it seems to work good except for the fact that it leaks oils from the middle of the crank casing and smokes like a chimney when it runs after a few seconds. i took the crank case cover off as i was planning on taking the motor out but lack the tools. the crank case gasket was toast and came off in peices. could this cause an oil leak problem? im new to bikes but have a service manual for guide me, i also drained the oil and refilled it incase it was overfull but still she smokes, and also has a small drip leak from the draining gasket. any ideas? oh i also checked the spark plug and shes oily aswell. i just done have the coin to take it in and get fixed up any thought are appreciated, thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The smoking is most likely caused by worn or broken piston rings or worn valve guides or both. Pull the head and cylinder and measure everything. The specs will be in your service manual. Your local dealer or machine shop can measure the parts for you if you don't have the tools. The oil leak between the cases is probably a bad gasket. Get a new gasket.

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
the guy i got it from said he had a new piston a rings done last summer and hadn't ridden it more than 5-6 times since done. it also doesn't seem to leak from the motor itself but dripping off one of the bolts, that's probably from a bad gasket?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
He may have put rings and a piston in it but if he didn't do the head it could still smoke. Could be excessively worn valve guides or bad guide seals. He may have broken a ring when he put the engine back together or failed to bore a worn cylinder. The only way to find out what is wrong is to disassemble the top end and take a look. In regard to the oil leak. Clean the engine and spray some underarm spray deodorant on the area that is leaking. When the spray dries it turns a chalky white. Then take it for a ride. The source of the oil leak will be easy to see on the dried spray.

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
awesome! thanks for the reply, is it necessary to take off the flywheel and clutch components to get the motor out?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
No you don't have to mess with the clutch or flywheel. You should be able to remove the head and cylinder without taking the engine out of the frame. You will have to take the inspection cover on the flywheel side off to retime the cam chain. If you plan to do the job yourself the first thing you need to buy is a service manual.

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
sweet, i planned ahead and bought a book when i got the bike, im going to start taking it apart now, thanks for your replies.

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
i took the motor out and brought it to local shop, it neds a rebuild and for parts its gonna cost 520 plus another 500 in labor so im a bit screwed unless i can find a new motor.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you are mechanically inclined or have someone that can help you, it is not that hard to rebuild it yourself. Your service manual will tell you how to do it and you can get a discount on all of your parts through Service Honda. Click on the Service Honda link on the left side of the screen. There may be a local machine shop that can bore the cylinder for you and grind the valves and seats. Chances are, you will only have to rebuild the top end. At this point you have nothing to lose. It should cost around $40.00 labor to bore the cylinder and maybe $100.00 to do the complete head. The rest you can do yourself.

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
awesome thanks a lot im definitely going to do that i do have the tools and space just find it hard to figure out whats parts are which when looking in the book since its my first bike.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sit down and read your service manual. When you are done, read it again. Do this before you start working on the bike. The Service Honda site also has blow-ups of the parts assemblies and you can use that to learn how the parts are assembled.
Good luck. :cool:

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
thanks a lot guys this is such a help makes me feel like all isnt lost anymore haha. i have a question about the cost though not sure if you will have any ide how much it would be but when i brought it in to milligans the local cycle shop the owner said i need both valves, cam tensionior, cylander needs to be bored plus new piston and rings and all the gaskets and also the connecting rod is chewed on the top and bearings loose, and i think im forgeting something but all that for 520? and another 5 in labor? does this sound like im being jabbed or is it a good deal? im def not gonna get them to do it but im just curious if im being robbed thnks for all input

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
k i went and got copy of the price out for the parts i need it goes - camseal $5.50, cam guide $27.31 both valves 19.99 each, complete gasket kit 63.99, seal kit, 24.99, 66mm piston 152.00, and random bolts 8.83. then the connecting rod is 89.78, bearing 22.66, and the pin 61.41. i checked service honda and could only find the connecting rod parts for a decently better price. also, do u need any special tools to fix all this stuff?

nproud

Jul 30, 2012
also, does anyone know if a crankshaft nd rod assembly from an 83 xr200r would fit a 95? or was there a change in those 12 years?

Top Bottom