1996 360 exc--sell or fix?!!!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
I can't decide what to do. I got this 96 360exc through a repo deal, the guy wreck it, wiped out the ignition cover and had the flywheel and stator off it when they repo'd it. so when i bought it none of that was there. Got a new ig. cover from ebay, have torn the bike apart, engine and carb wise. everything is in near mint condition, in fact it looks like it was only ridden on the highway and lots of wheelies.

In the meantime i rode my kdx, then got the new wr250f for xmas. i would really like to go ahead and fix the ktm, i think it would be really fun, but i'm not exactly sure of the parts i need, i think i found them on cycle hutt......my dealer has not been very helpful, i'm been trying to have them get me a manual, to no avail yet!

any advice on this bike?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Tell me exactly what part of the manual you're after. KTM manual's aren't like KDX ones. You get parts listings for them.
Is that what you're after?
Let me know - Michelle@dirtrider.net
we're currently waiting for seals or something for the swingarm for Henk's 360, unfortunately the first package got lost. When we bought the bike, we didn't look at the barrel - turned out it had a crack in the exhaust port. Okay, down one cylinder. While doing the top end, noticed some rod play - ah, it'll be okay for a couple of days' riding. Nope, 5 minutes later, she caboombed & sat for about a year. Next cylinder (2nd hand this time). Now's she been apart for a couple of months yet again. I think she just likes being lazy & sitting in the garage.

His is a 97 SX btw. Someone we sorta know has/had an EXC & when the bike was apart the 2nd time (waiting to decide what to do with it), he phoned & asked if we'd sell the ignition as his had gone yet again. I think it was the CDI. He was fortunate that time as it was just a pinched wire or something dumb like that.

Anyway, moral to this post? There ain't one, it's your call. You could either part it out, fix it up & ride it, fix it & sell it or sit on it & decide later ;) If you're interested in parting it out, any ideas how much the back wheel would be to send to NZ? lol j/k

But we got manuals :) (including an engine manual, which is a photocopy of some original thing KTM? put out, cost was about $40-50US from a dealer over there).

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
I guess what i'm really wanting to know is if the part numbers i'm looking at on ktmworld, is what i really need to order, seeing as i've never seen what the parts looked like, i want to make sure when i spend $400 on an ignition it's the right one! Then i just want to see what it should look like when it's in there, am i rotated to much, coil in wrong position..etc. This is my first dealings with a ktm, so i'm pretty scared!!!!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
http://www.ktminfo.com/ktm.asp ...that's the best link i have, then you have to click on parts catalog under ktm...then find the bike 96...ktm 360 exc usa...then scroll to bottom to engine-ignition systems..they have 2 listed, i assume mine is the digital..but again i don't know.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
KTMWORLD, you are going in the right direction.  If I were you (I used to have a '92 KTM 300 EXC) I would pick up the phone and call them directly.  Ask to speak to Barry (Higgins).  He's the owner and the shop guy.  The number is:  770-920-1371

The shop is about 140 miles from my house and I drove over there on numrous occasions to have Barry work on my bike.  He completely rebuilt the top and bottom ends on my '92.  In fact, there were so many guys in my club who were racing KTMS in the early 90s that there was someone ferrying bikes over there just about every week.

Barry may be a little difficult to get on the phone.  E-mail is another option.  His wife's name is Patty and more often than not, she's the one who answers the phone.  She maybe able to help you too.  She's well versed in KTM, when she's not out messing with her horses.

Good luck.  One of my enduro Row mates had that same bike.  The thing was a torque monster.  A bit of a handful in the tight stuff but it railed in the open stuff down in Louisiana and Mississippi.  If I remember corectly, it was a little finiky about jetting.

Enjoy the bike.  If everything else is in mint. condition, I think it would be worth it to put it back together.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
They are great bikes with a few changes. The stock exhaust bites! The stinger section is WAAAY to small and causes the bike endless carburation problems and really happers the performance. An FMF pipe and silencer is a great investment on this bike. Eric Gorr has a world of knowledge and one of his tricks is knowing exactly how to set the 360 up to make it a 3 stroke (i.e. grunt like a 4T and rev like a 2T). I really enjoyed my '96 360EXC which in now in Greehhorn's garage. They did have ignition issues so be sure you are getting the correct one as I am pretty sure they switched to a different vendor in '97. Also the exc & SX should have different flywheels if I'm not mistaken and may even have different ignitions but don't hold me to it. If you have problems getting through at KTMWorld call TJ's Cycle in Austin 800-570-4079. They are great folks and Tom (TJ) or his son Brian are almost always there and very willing to makle sure things are right with the customer. They have been pumpkin dealers before they were popular bikes so there is knowledge and commitment there as well.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BTW Greenhorn get's off work at 7am so I'll point him your way. He's got (or at least better still have) all the factory manuals for that bike including the shop manual, he aint so good with words bigger than "the" or "and" but he can look at pictures pretty good :laugh:

Also do yourself a favor now and order the clutch release arm seal with your order, there is a good chance that if that side of the engine has been messed with that little seal will leak.

gabriel

Oct 30, 2003
do your self a favor call jack penton at pvl ignitions hell tell you everything you need and sell you a pvl for cheaper and better

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
BTW Greenhorn get's off work at 7am so I'll point him your way. He's got (or at least better still have) all the factory manuals for that bike including the shop manual, he aint so good with words bigger than "the" or "and" but he can look at pictures pretty good :laugh:

I'm a little late (ok, allota) in replying. Yes, I DO have all the manuals sitting here in file cabinet. I can give you any part/ part number you'd need for the '96. Sorry I can't be more help on the the technical aspects but I ride about once every 3-4 mos and wrench on it even less. :) e-mail me or PM me if I can be of any help. greenhorn@dirtrider.net

Lastly, if you do decide you want to sell it. Lemme know if you want to part out anything. I'd be HIGHLY interested in a complete back wheel. :thumb:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I found the parts listings for the ignition. I've got a scanner and will try to get it hooked up this weekend. Then I'll scan in some pics so it'll be of more help. In the meantime I can give you some part numbers.

Fig. Part Number Description Qty.
---- -------------------- -------------- -----
1 546.31.602.300 Ignition Cpl. 1
2* 546.31.602.351 Stator Loose 1
5 546.31.004.300 Rubber Grommet 1
7 0912 050303 A H Screw 3
8 0125 050003 Flat Washer 3
9 0015 050123 H H Collar Screw 3
10 0125 050003 Flat Washer 3
12 502.31.012.000 Seal Ring 1
31 545.31.010.000 Spark Plug Protect 1
60 546.31.606.100 Ignition Coil 1
62 0015 060453 H H Collar Screw 2
63 0125 060003 Flat Washer 2
64 502.35.033.300 Snap Nut 2
93* 543.31.093.310 Spark Plug 1

The above is just how it shows in the parts manual for the ignition. Based on the diagram, I am assuming that Fig. 1 is the complete ignition assy. (Ignition Cpl.) less Fig's 60, 64, 63, 62, 31, 93, and 12. I'll get my scanner hooked up and get you some images to go along with this ASAP (this weekend) Hope this helps in the meantime... :thumb:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Damn, the HTML compresses the spaces between the catergories. The e-mail I just sent you should've turned out ok though.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by ZKDX
i just want to see what it should look like when it's in there, am i rotated to much, coil in wrong position..etc. This is my first dealings with a ktm, so i'm pretty scared!!!!

Also, when I scan in some images I can scan in a section in the owner's manual called "Troubleshooting The Ignition". It's got all the pics you'll need to show you how things are supposed to line up.

Netking31

Jan 19, 2004
Originally posted by Michelle
You got a link to what you're looking at? I've got the "manuals" in front of me, to see if I can help you.

i need a wiring diagram for a 95 sx 250 and a 90 to 94 mxc cdi to stator thanks bob

awrcs89

Mod Ban
Feb 5, 2004
Mod Edit - This is the third and LAST time you get warned for posting For Sale items in the regular forums. Three strikes and you're OUT of here.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
who are you referring to? I was not posting any items for sale.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
driley said:
Did you fix the 360 or did you decide to sell it?

Haven't sold it or fixed it yet. Been riding my new WR. I have fixed/replaced everything on the ktm except the 2 vital parts.

I hope to start calling some of the references folks here have given me, to get the ignition parts i need.

Top Bottom