plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
Please help :eek: , I'm going crazy trying to get the forks on my 1996 CR250 set up decent. Is there any hope for them?

I'm not positive what the valve stack looks like right now, but would love some advice on how to set them up. I ride mostly So. Cal Desert Enduros with a good mix of rocks, whoops and sand. Right now they feel good over the whoops, but seem to deflect really bad over softball sized rocks. I think I need to soften up the initial stroke, without giving up any in the mid stroke. Is this possible?

I'm very new to fork adjustments, and have not done my own valving up to this point, but would like to try. I'm not against installing Race Tech valves or something similar if it will make a reasonable improvement.

Any help is appreciated. :worship:

deano...

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
when i bought my 96 250 i hated my forks also. i had the same problems that you have now. what i did is installed race tech suspension on the forks and the shock. what a difference it made. it took me 2 tries to get the forks right but now i love it.in fact i bought a 2004 crf 450 and am in the process of putting race tech gold valves in right now.the forks on my crf are to stiff.
anyways i think your best bet is either race tech or send them off to mx tech for a revalve.or you can drive to minnesota and you can use my forks for a few weeks to see if you like them.ya right you probably live in a state where you can ride all year.

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
Thanks for the info cr lover, I assume by Race Tech suspension, you mean Gold Valves? That's the way I'm leaning right now. Any suggestions on the valve stack? Did you follow the Race Tech recomendataions?

deano...

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
you have two options for a valving stack,single stage and two stage,i prefer the two stage stack because it is suppose to be for enduros and softer motocross applications.they will give you a standerd valve stack setting.i think i went down one on my low speed stack and one down (or softer)on my high speed stack from the standerd setting.
i like plush suspension.
i am thinking that you do not wiegh 225lbs so i will not tell you what stack i am running.if you buy gold valves and you have any minor ?s i will be glad to help or just talk to brad bailey from race tech his ext # is 111.also, i did install a check plate on the rebound rod,otherwise know as midvalve.
any more ?s i be glad to help.or just call brad at race tech.
motosport outlet sells gold valves for 129.95 and there is no shipping.
good luck. cr lover

Top Bottom