1996 CR250 needs top-end...what do I need?

Jackyl

Apr 29, 2002
She's still a virgin, never cracked the cases or popped the jug off. I've decided to do the top-end before spring hits, but I'm not sure what all I need. I'd imagine a gasket kit, and a top-end kit. Is that it? Do they make top-end kits? Where is the best place to purchase and what brand? I primarily ride WFO in the woods, but like to get out on the track occasionally. Do they offer anything to make this beast a 280cc or so? If so, does it require a bigger carb or CDI change, etc.? Thanks!!!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Check Eric out. He's got mucho experience in the area of bigger bore CR250's. His 265 kit is ridiculously inexpensive for what you're getting. If you just want parts he could prolly help you out there too.

ericgorr.com

Jackyl

Apr 29, 2002
Thanks for the link man, looks like he does an excellent job. I'm not sure whether to send to him for a port / polish and have him check and prep the cylinder for my own Wiseco top-end job, or if I should just try to do it myself. Is it that difficult of a job to do the top-end at home? Any idea what he'd charge to do a top-end with parts / labor? How about with port / polish? Thanks!!!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
If you're even slightly mechanically inclined and have access to a manual (I had one I could loan you but another DRN'er hasn't returned it yet) its a pretty easy do it yourself'er. You should be able to get all parts for a top end replacement for b/w $125 & $150. It would be worth your trouble to have someone measure your cylinder for wear while you've got it apart.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you are interested in stock parts, check with Mach1 out in California.  They have top end kits shown on their web page for the '97-'01 CR250 for like $103; maybe they can do a '96 for a similar price.  Go to www.mach1motorsports.com and check out the accessories section.  BTW, their description is confusing, but I think a head gasket is included in the price.  I got my parts through them and they were very good to deal with.

Jackyl

Apr 29, 2002
Thanks guys. I plan on just ordering up the Wiseco and goin at it. I also found a complete factory clutch assembly w/o inner hub and outer hub gear for $50. Think I should probably hit that too. Any reason to go stock over Wiseco or similar? I was told that the Wiseco's heat up faster than the cyliner and siezes it up.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I've always used wiseco with no problems.

Pay attention to powervalve disassembly. Common mistake to install cylinder and not align the fork on the PV rod with actuator in the low end correctly. Then you'll be wondering why you did a top end and your bike runs like a dog.

jmjride45

Jan 8, 2004
your year cr has a nickel or chrome plated cylinder. if you have done any damage to the clyinder walls you can do one of two things; you can have the cylinder bored and then sleved(i just had it done to my 95) or two you could have the cylinder sent out to be repaired and then replated. even through i had mine resleaved i recomend replating because i was told that the steal sleaves make lots more heat than the nickel plating. and heat is bad if you ride wide open for long periods of time. once you have your bike bake together be sure and follow the break in procedure. also pull ou the power valves and clean all of the carbon build up off of then. these step will make the big run like new again. good luck

Top Bottom