1996 KDX 200 Does not run right, help!

jayv70

Mar 15, 2005
Have a 1996 KDX 200 that has been sitting for about 3 years with very little use. Been trying to get it back up and running for my nephew and am having problems.

It starts and idles perfectley, you can ride it but when you get on it it is like starving for fuel or the KIPS valve is sticky. Tore the bike down to check everything out and clean it up and it is still doing the same thing. Have gone through the carb, the gears for the KIPs valve rotat and work just fine, reeds are fine, piston and rings are great with 150 PSI compression.

I am at my witts end and can use some help with this. Thinking it may have something to do with the mechanism that drives the KIPS Valve???????? Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,

Jay

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
check the end of the kips shaft by the govener..

sound more like a fuel problem did you blow out the carb circuits with compressed air.

also from sitting it may have a mouse house in the silencer

you can also put a new filter in if you haven't already they tend to become solid from sitting

jayv70

Mar 15, 2005
Fresh Gas, New Plug, Silencer is clear clean and like new, jetting was spot on and ran great prior to sitting, jets have all been replaced, air filter has been cleaned and oiled ready to go. Carb circuits have all been cleaned blown out.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
If it were me then, I would go on to the classic "fuel, air, spark" and start trying to figure out which one has gone missing at high RPM. It can get tricky though.

Based on my experience, I would pull and clean the carb again. I can't tell you how many times I have had a carb beyond pristine, put it back in, had running problems, pulled it back out, cleaned it again (sometimes seeing something, sometimes not) and put it back together to then have it run well.

I'd pull and check the petcock and full cap (vent) as well.

I'm starting with "fuel", because that is the part that is pretty much guaranteed to turn to goo and screw with a bike that has been sitting.

But you are groping in a blind room until you find it. The good news is, that on a two stroke, it's not that big a room and pretty soon you will find something...

Top Bottom