mjb1120

Jul 1, 2007
Just picked up a 1996 KDX 200. The bike is rather difficult to start (takes at least 20+ kicks, usually end up using some starter fluid) when it does start up, it idle's very high, if you use the choke it settles down, but when you take the choke off the high idle returns. Backed off the idle screw completely, cleaned out the carb etc no change. I have not done a compression check, (seems like their may be an issue, not to much resistance when kicking it over) and it smokes more than what I would call normal while it is running.
I would appreciate some help
Thanks

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
You need to remove the float bowl, clean out the float bowl, remove the pilot jet and clean that out, then remove the pilot circuit screw and blow compressed air through that. You might as well check to see that the main jet is clean and the needle jet while you have everything apart. Reset your pilot screw so that it is 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns out from bottomed. Then set your idle screw after the bike is warmed up.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
You are not getting enough fuel which is probably due to a blockage in the carb. Like Dirtdame said, you need to go through the carb and make sure all jets and passages are clean and clear and all settings are within spec.

Top Bottom