1996 KDX200 with KX forks & triple clamp

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Nice insult Jasonwho ... 1st a smart-alec response and now a direct insult. Does your mom know you use her computer, or do you just use the PC at the library?

know_fear

May 19, 2000
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago. As I understand it, you will need to press the KDX steering stem out of your lower triple clamp and install it into the KX lower clamp. A spacer may be needed between the steering head and the upper clamp because the clamps need to be further apart on the KX setup. If you get a '98 or newer KX front end you can use your KDX caliper and wheel. I can't swear to any of this because I havn't done it myself,....yet. A used fork and clamp setup from a 2000 KX 125 is on the way so I'll know more within a few weeks.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
A 96 KX 125 or 250 will fit on the kdx H model and probably an E model for that matter. Skipro3 swears up and down that the kdx stem needs to go into the lower clamp differently than I did mine, now three years ago. The top clamp's hole is too big for the small kdx stem and thus needs a Race of sorts to fill the void. He knows the exact spec on that. The kdx caliper can be used on the kx and I like the feel of the kdx compared to the kx one. Also the cable route is better. I took the lower hose mount and bolted it on sideways to the fork guard. Get rid of the upper fork guides since they are useless IMO. Plus they interfere with the kdx brake routing. Also some spacers/washers are needed at the bottom or top of the clamp in order to get the head nut on correctly. I run my washers at the bottom since I wanted my forks higher in the clamps on the SX track. If I was doing more high speed riding I would have the washers on top as I first did.
To get your stem out of the stock kdx clamp you have to use a press and you would think it is going to break at some point and all the sudden bam, it is out.
I have had nothing but praise for my set up and am still running the stock springs even though I am way over its intended weight. No need for special valves or such either.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
everything above is correct. I just did this to my 96 KDX 200. A couple of things: 1. you will need the press a shim into the lower clamp of the KX triple clamp with the stem to ensure a tight fit. 2. spacers on the top of the lower clamp or under the upper clamp. 3. Shim to take up space between the stem and the inside of the KX top clamp for a good fit. 4. Modification to the steering stop. The KX clamps will hit the tank using the KDX stop.

after all that you good to go.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
The '97 may use a different caliper than the KDX's and newer KX's. When you get your '97 front end let us know what has to be done to make it work. Good luck and happy wrenching.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
can u guys posts some pics please? i was thinking of trying that with an extra frame i have. but then again if i can find an old kx frame 89-94 i would like to put my motor in it. if it will fit. if there are posts on this subject somewhere someone please point me in the right direction. thanks

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Like everyone else is saying here; it isn't a direct bolt on. It takes a little time to get everything to fit right using spacers and shim stock. If you deside to give it a go, PM me and I will send you detailed instuctions and photos. Once you have all the parts from the KX, (Forks, triple clamp, wheel, axle)plus the misc. stuff like the correct gauge brass shim stock and a few spacers, it only takes about 2 or 3 hours to do the whole thing.
Once completed and tested, try it out on some heavy duty whoops. You won't believe how this setup soaks them up. It looks so scary to be going that fast over deep whoops and stutter bumps and not feel them telegraphed back through the bars. When you get over the fear of going fast, it becomes a pure adrenaline rush.
Add a steering dampner and do the same over rocks, ruts and roots. You won't believe it until you try it for yourself.

For Photos go HERE
BTW cadjockey, what did JasonWho say anyway that prompted your response? I'm guessing he deleted his post.....

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
skipro im not afraid of speed thats the problem. can u give my an idea of what parts i need. im thinking of mating an 89 -4 kx frame with an 89 kdx motor.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
As some of you might know last august my bike fell off of a trailer and was dragged for 2 or 3 miles. Both the Top clamp and left fork were damaged beyond repair. The forks and top clamp were off of a 92 KX 250. My bike is a 98 KDX 200. I want to stay with the KX front end, but I want to know what year KX's will fit my bike. I am not sure if this question has been asked before, so if it has let me know and I will do a search. I don't want to go onto ebay and buy a set of forks that don't fit at all. Also on the newer KX's (2001 and newer maybe) it looks like the Axle mounts on the forks require a special wheel, or an axle that comes off of the wheel maybe? I am not really fimiliar with KX's so I am not sure. But the way the clamp looks just seems weird. Any help would be appreciated because I really want to get my bike fixed up and running again asap. Thanks

Ben

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
89kdx200rdr:
I only know first hand about upgrading the late model KDX's, 1995 and up, so maybe someone who has first hand knowledge of the '89 frame can jump in and give you some advise.

91KDX:
I would think any late model year KX setup will work on your '98 KDX200. Bear in mind that you would need the whole setup: forks, tripleclamp, front wheel and axle. In fact, the forks from any bike that uses the KYB forks will work. My riding buddy used the forks from a 2000 Yamaha 250. Again, you would need the front wheel and axle specific to that year fork and manufacturer as well as the upper and lower triple clamp from a KX with the same size fork tube dimensions. He used the 2000 KX250 triple clamp with the YZ250 forks/wheel/axle and his stem and bearings pressed into the lower triple clamp with no problems.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I have the front wheel, axle and brakes from the 92 KX 250, but I take it that the KX changed those about other year. So if I get different forks and top clamp I will need the same exact wheel and brake. So will any KX Top and Bottom Triple clamps work in my 98 KDX 200? And would a KX 125 setup work in a KDX? I would think the forks and everything would be the same size. and again if you think this has already been stated please tell me and I will do a search, I don't want to sound really lazy. Thanks for the help so far.

Ben

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Check out buykawaski.com to compare part #'s between years for parts compatability. Fork and triple clamp dimensions can change from year to year. To be sure, just buy the complete front end off of a single bike ('96 or newer) and sell the parts you have plus the stock parts you are replacing to finance the swap. It isn't a very difficult swap to perform if all the parts are in a complete assembly.

magilla

Oct 14, 2003
Ben (91KDX)
If you can hold off a few days I may have a set of forks for you.
I just purchased two sets of KX forks, planning to do the swap myself.
Long story short I need to verify which set I will use but I think the extras will be the ones from a 93' KX (supposed to be same for 92'-93'). I won't know for probably another week or so. send me an email and I'll let you know.

nocones @ pacbell . net

Michael

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom