1996 Yamaha RT180 New owner needs help!!

loNslo

Nov 8, 2008
Im new to the 2 strokes and dirtbike world coming off of a 4 stroke atv. Anyways i picked this bike up a few days ago and it wasnt running.The twist throttle wont snap back/return to idle. What will fix this? After cleaning the carb and changing the oil/gas i got it running but the throttle keeps sticking wide open. I took the carb off and cleaned it all again but now the bike wont start. Its getting fuel and spark. Even spraying starting fluid in the carb.The twist throttle wont snap back/return to idle. :bang: :bang:

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Have you checked the throttle cable?
is it possible that it could be flooded
I know those are not high tech answers but its all I can think of

loNslo

Nov 8, 2008
I put a new throttle cable on today but it didnt help. It may be flooded but i would think it would have atleast tried to start with the starter fluid. And in the twist throttle assembly what makes the tube snap back? Because this one doesnt

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And in the twist throttle assembly what makes the tube snap back?

A spring. It's usually under the top carb cap where the cable goes in. The cable actually runs through the spring then hooks to the slide. You should have to compress the spring a bit to get the cable out of the slide.

loNslo

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah the springs in there and its seemed fine but it may be wore out. The cables dont seem to be in a bind. The throttle tube is cracked but even if you pull on the cable itself it doesnt snap back.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
How easily did the slide drop into the carb? If its not sliding with NO resistance something is wrong.

loNslo

Nov 8, 2008
I took the carb back off and the slide wasnt fully closing. The pins werent in the slots and it was sittin on top of them. I fired it up and everything seems good gotta ride it and make sure 2mara though. Thanks for the help guys

Top Bottom