rzracer

Dec 13, 2004
I just bought one of these and am looking for some info. Did this model come from the factory as a big wheel configuraton or are they all retrofitted? I haven't picked mine up yet but althought the front looks to be correct with a 19" front wheel the rear looks to be 14" (from the pic I've seen). I know the kits you can buy give you a 16" rear rim but am thinking the factory big wheel (if there even was such a thing) might have came with a 14" rear?

Also I see the cyclinder is one of the none borable deals but Yamaha lists different STD pistons (by color I believe), what's the story behind this? Thanks in advance for any help...

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
The standard, 80cc configuration is 17 front/14 rear. The big wheel configuration is 19/16. The bike's geometry will be off if you run it 19/14. You may find that a longer swingarm is needed to accommodate a bigger rear wheel. That's the case with the KX85/KX100.

I'd be surprised if Eric Gorr couldn't do something with that engine.

rzracer

Dec 13, 2004
yes Yamaha sells a longer swingarm, rims, ect for the big wheel conversion. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if Yamaha sold a big wheel yz80 in 1996 out of the box from the factory or if all big wheel yz80's came from the factory as normal bikes with 14/17" wheels and all have had kits put on them after the fact? This might tell me if someone just put a 14" rear wheel on it and it does have the longer swingarm already, or if someone just put a 19" front wheel on a standard YZ80 so I would need a longer swingarm and bigger rear wheel to match the front.

Top Bottom