dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Its the suspension.  Have it revalved.  My bike was set up for offroad and has Factory Connection front and rear -  and it is very plush. 

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
The 97 CR was pretty brutal to most pilots. I would certainly consider revalving both ends. The frame was never going to win any performance awards thats for sure. It was just too rigid. A fly wheel weight works wonders on those bikes.
Terry

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Also set rear sag at 105mm. 

BTW, my bike has conventional Paioli 46mm forks in place of the stock inverted forks.  This may help smooth the ride some as they flex more than the stock forks.  Besides the revalving, mine also has Pro-Taper bars and an 18" rear tire.  Stock frame, though, and the bike is anything but harsh. 

I'm an old guy (40+) and wouldn't hesitate to ride an enduro or 70+ mile long aggressive trail ride with my '99 CR.  It always surprises me to read how the 'harsh' first gen aluminum frame turns 20 year old MX riders into putty after 10 laps.  ;)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I happen to love my 99. The rubber mounted bars are a must. Also I have filled the bars with silicone to dampen vibration further. Still is a vibrator, but easily does everything I ask of it. I am more comfortable on it than on my buds '03. Next step for me is a revalve.

247 ace 66

Jan 4, 2004
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try as many as I can.
The last time I rode with my sons I could'nt walk next morning.

Top Bottom