1997 kdx 220 fork boots

Mar 10, 2007
Hello all i need to get a new set of fork boots for my kdx. Does anyone know what series they would be? I see different number series listed and have no clue as to what they are talking about. Also what is all involved with changing them. Thanks in advance

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Yes, go with Daystar Model 69. They have several colors.

You will need to get the bike on a work stand, with the front wheel off the ground. You will need to move the handlebars / cables / brake hose, etc. before lowering the tubes.

Mar 10, 2007
Is it possible to put them on from the bottom, or must they go on from the top. I didn't realize how much was involved taking these things off and putting new ones on.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It's not so bad. You actually don't need to take anything loose from the handlebars if you pull the caliper and front wheel. With the front wheel off, loosen the triples and then pull a tube down and out of the triples by twisting it slightly. It'll slide right out. Replace the boot, slide the fork back up in the triple, repeat process for other side. Tighten down the triples, install the front wheel and caliper, and go ride.

Mar 10, 2007
I found the daystar 69 model on dennis kirk for $28 plus shipping. These come in sets correct? Do you guys frequent any other sites that carry these and may cost less?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
local bike shop can cut you a deal if you ask...probably $25, thats what my shop does 15% or better off parts unlimited catolog list.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
sr5bidder said:
local bike shop can cut you a deal if you ask...probably $25, thats what my shop does 15% or better off parts unlimited catolog list.

Damn, you got a nice shop. There's only a honda shop over here, but they carry everything. Crap is 50% higher there than what I can get online, just going through bikebandit or servicehonda.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
julien_d said:
Damn, you got a nice shop. There's only a honda shop over here, but they carry everything. Crap is 50% higher there than what I can get online, just going through bikebandit or servicehonda.
But your shop doesn't charge you shipping, which can double the price of some items..... :whoa:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
its really nice to live in a metro area for that reason (lots of choices) the shop I use only does motorcycle tires he won't even change the brakes but orders everyday from parts unlimited, mostly tires, but everything is availible and most stuff is there the next day!!

the thing thats sucks about the metro area is I have to load up and drive to ride the kdx 2hrs is the closest....that is why I have the enduro xt350 so I can go down the road and take advantage of the failed housing market ( cut out subdivisions with no houses)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…