Mar 10, 2007
Hello all i was looking for some pointers on changing the rear brake pads on my kdx. First of all can it be done without removing the rear wheel? I've talked to a few people who said that it can. I can't seem to get the caliper bolts loose to remove it from the disk to get my pads out easier. Do i need any special tool, what should i use? The brake pad bolts i got loosend but they only seem to go so far and i still can't get the pads out. Any help or pointers would be very helpful. Also what size spark plug wrench/socket do i need? I currently use a crescent wrench which works but would rather use the correct tool I'm not very mechanically inclined but i'm trying to learn as i go along. I also have a repair manual but it isn't much help.
Thank you

Last edited:

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
5 and 6 mm allen sokets with a 3/8 rachet should do the trick for your rear brakes. And no you dont have to take the wheel off. If you can't get the bolts out I suggest finding someone with bigger arms :) or use a penetrating compond. 13/16 is the size socket for your spark plug.

Mar 10, 2007
muddertrucker said:
5 and 6 mm allen sokets with a 3/8 rachet should do the trick for your rear brakes. And no you dont have to take the wheel off. If you can't get the bolts out I suggest finding someone with bigger arms :) or use a penetrating compond. 13/16 is the size socket for your spark plug.
Do u mean allen socket or allen wrench? I only have the allen wrenches, they fit perfect but i can't get them to budge, i also used a penetrating compound, but no go. Any other suggestions or ideas? Can the pads be removed and replaced with the caliper still on? I can get the actual pad bolts loose but the pads themselves didn't seem to want to move its the caliper bolts i can't budge. Thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you have a long extension, find the socket that fits over the allen wrench then put the extension on and use that for some leverage.

Mar 10, 2007
_JOE_ said:
If you have a long extension, find the socket that fits over the allen wrench then put the extension on and use that for some leverage.
I just tried that and still no go. Call me an idiot but it is lefty loosy righty tighty correct? Is it possible to just remove the pads without taking off the caliper from the disk? Thanks again for the help :bang:

Mar 10, 2007
:) Update, after trying and trying again i could not get the caliper bolts loose, so i said screw it and just unbolted the brake pad bolts and took the pads out and put the new ones on. It was rather tight working quarters but after about 20 minutes i had the old ones out and the new ones in. All that messing around for nothing. My repair manual wanted me to take off the wheel, caliper etc etc, but you don't have to. Just wanted to let you guys know that you can bypass all those steps and go right to the pad bolts in case you didn't know. Thanks for all the help anyway.

Top Bottom