Mar 10, 2007
Hello all, i have a 97 kdx 220 that i've been thinking about getting redone. As far as i know the motor has never been taken apart :ohmy: . What all do i need to order to do a complete top end rebuild? Approx how much $$ am i looking at? Thanks

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
its a good idea to take the topend off firstto check the condition of the cylinder and measure it, THEN you can order a piston/rings/small end bearing IF your cylinder is fine

gueestimate w/wisco piston kit $200 w/pro x piston $150

if your cylinder is bad $4$$.$$ at wich point I'd go with a kdx200 cylinder swap

Mar 10, 2007
I forgot to mention in my first post that the bike runs flawlessly and i have no reason to think it even needs done, just thinking about getting it done anyways. Is there anyway to tell if a top end needs to be done by just riding it. Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
No. There are signs that the top end is way past the point of needing rebuilt, but not that it is time to replace. It's really easy to pop the jug off and have a look, so just tear in. The stock KDX220 piston has quite a reputation for shattering into pieces and potentially causing catastrophic failure to bottom end as well as the top end. If this was to happen, you'd be looking at 600-1000 to rebuild top and bottom. 1 hour tops to pull the jug, check everything out, and put back together if it's all good.

my 2 cents.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom