jayman1276

Mar 19, 2009
hello guys my name is jay and I recently purchased a 97 kdx 220 and was going through the exhaust and was wondering if the aftermarket fmf pipe was supposed to fit snug into the block and if there is supposed to be a crush ring between the pipe and the block?there is a good bit of snot coming out where it meets up.It now has a about a 3/16th gap all the way around the pipe after I insert it in the sleeve on the block.Thanks in advance for the help!!!

k-dog

Jan 22, 2009
I also have a 97 220 and recently added the FMF desert pipe. It came with o-rings on the pipe and the instructions say to install the pipe o-rings using a high temp silicone to provide a better seal, then wipe away excess. Allow sufficient time to dry. Mine seems to seal okay.

jayman1276

Mar 19, 2009
thanks k dog,the o rings that you are talking about did they go around the pipe and sit in a groove? and also did it fit snug in the sleeve on the block?

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
Meh. I was going to post a link to a parts diagram for you but the forum software won't permit it.

Many of the online parts sources (Service Honda, Bike Bandit) have OEM parts fiche available for you to look at; they're really helpful to figure out what goes where....

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
jayman1276 said:
thanks k dog,the o rings that you are talking about did they go around the pipe and sit in a groove? and also did it fit snug in the sleeve on the block?

Ya they snap into those grooves.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
guys....I went through the same thing putting on a FMF K-14 pipe.

Get everything nice and clean and make sure the copper crush ring is intact and installed into the exhaust port BEFORE you install the pipe.

The two O-rings fit onto the grooves in the pipe and just apply a small bead onto the pipe before placing it in the cylinder.

Run a fine bead completely around the pipe/cylinder junction after the pipe is seated and in place.

Take your time and do a neat job running the bead of high temp silicone there and you will have the proper seal and no black spooge running out all over making a mess.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey jayman! My 1997 also had the same issue. Do everthing the guys here are telling you plus...... my bike had a problem where that first connector(brace,stay,coupling,whatever it's called) meets pipe and frame.The one that connects to the pipe and then down by the bottom of the frame.......for whatever reason,it didn't match up well with the pipe and that was causing the pipe to be tweaked out of place.I used a drill bit to route out the hole(in the coupling) a little longer,so that the pipe could relax,mellow out ,and very easily bolt into it's natural and best seated position. If you are not having to tug and pull the pipe or connector into place,this is probably not an issue for you.Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck!
flap

Top Bottom