JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Why should I not jump all over a chance to buy this bike.

It has low hrs. and is very clean,also I would trade a 00 TTR250 ( even trade )

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kelly Blue Book shows a trade in value of $2,600 for a '97 KTM400 LC4 Exc and $2,875 for an '00 TT-R 250.

Go to www.kbb.com - I didn't check retail prices.

You are aware that the '97 LC4 400 exc is entierely different from the new RFS 400 that everyone raves about, right?

Not saying it isn't a good trade; just pointing out the '97 is not the same lightweight and powerful bike that the newer ones are.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by dirt bike dave

'97 is not the same lightweight and powerful bike that the newer ones are.

So I could be trading one major disappointment for another?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Assuming for a moment you have owned the ttr since new, I wouldn't do it. You can't be sure how well the KTM has been taken care of. I love KTMs, but you are getting into the same 'old' technology the ttr has (almost), just more cc's, and water cooled. The 400 is a good bike, but more along the lines of an XR 400.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've never ridden an LC4 400, but my friend took a demo ride on the RXC (the dual sport version) 400, around '97 or so. It is a tall, relatively heavy motorcycle with a linkage suspension that shares very little with the new 4 strokes. Overall, he liked the bike and thought it would be good platform for a dual sport, but it is not in the same league as the newer KTM 4 strokes if you are looking for a race or trail weapon.

Still, if you are not happy with the TTR, it might be an excellent trade for you.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Ok, now lets not compare it to the newer tech KTMs, lets look at just the two bikes ( '97 KTM 400 v '00 TTR 250 ) Wt.,performamce and suspension on the KTM should, I would think be better than the TTR.

I have owned the TTr since new and it also has very low hrs. on it, but I'm seem to spending most my time on the YZ.

I am looking for a desert racing / trail riding bike and I was hoping this would fit the bill without a whole lot of cash impact.

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I have ridden the non-rfs 400. It can be ridden very fast. A good friend of mine rides one. In the performance and suspension portion of the question the KTM is superior to the TTR (IMO). It is fairly heavy. If memory serves me correctly 268 lbs. dry. You can race it, and it is easily dual-sported. Here is an observation I will share about the bike, it has a longer rake than I am used to. It is a very smooth ride. But you will not be able to cut a corner as tight as your YZ. Since this is a trade situation. I would suggest that you and the TTR owner meet at a riding area, and take them on a test ride. Good LucK!

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Strick,dbd thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate your input. I am supposed to meet with the dealer either tomorrow or Monday for a quick test ride ( well that depends on if he can catch me ) and I'll go from here.

I did take another look at it today and I noticed a few things:

1. It has WP suspension that felt very much like my buddies 426 that was done by Race Tech:cool:

2.I was able to pick it up and it felt as light or lighter than the TTR ( maybe ) and better balance ( maybe )

Anyhow thanks again and I'll tell ya what happens

P.S.* William*, as for getting a Two stoke, I have a 250YZ that I could never part with, it's for when your in one of those moods ya know;)

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by JPIVEY
P.S.* William*, as for getting a Two stoke, I have a 250YZ that I could never part with, it's for when your in one of those moods ya know;)

Yup. I'm in that mood most of the time.;)

Top Bottom