1997 XR 250R Jetting Advice Sought ...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Anyone have any advice ? Will different jetting make any significant improvement over the stock jetting ? If so, what changes will work ?

I have the standard header and muffler with a Vortip insert. I have removed the snorkel and have a freer flowing Uni filter setup.

... I ride in the So Cal area.

Thanks ....

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yes it will!

Yes it will make a tremendous difference if you go to kennedy meadows or someplace that is lots higher in elevation, a lot warmer, cooler etc. Its impossible to tell how your bike is jetted now (too rich, too lean etc). Usually they are jetted a little rich from the factory but if you have aftermarket exhaust it may be close now. Trust me though, get the jetting spot on you WILL notice a big difference. Go to Kennedy Meadows without changing it and you wont be able to get out of your own way. Give more specifics and you may get some ballpark guesses at what you may want to try. Also check out Eric Gorrs site on jetting!

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hi Eel,

I haven't worked on XR250s, but if Honda was consistent between your bike and the XR4s in 97, then your bike was factory jetted anticipating removal of intake and exhaust restrictions (i.e jetted rich stock, which turns out to be jetted right at sea level upon removal of intake/exhaust restrictions). In 98, Honda reversed this practice on XR4s.

Here's a few sites on your bike:

http://www.hondaxr.com/
http://www.justxr.com/xr250faq/

Also, try a seacrh on the forum for XR250 jetting.

Assuming the above is true, you may not be too far off at sea level. At 7000" in Big Bear, you will be rich. BTW, if you re0jet, only use Honda jets. The dealer has advised me that other Kehin jets may be sized differently.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks for the info guys ...

Mountain Goat ... maybe you can check out the setup at the group ride .... I really don't know how to tell if it's rich or leaN ...

See you there ...

DK

Feb 26, 2000
I have a 96 and a couple guys I ride with have later models with the same jetting setup. We are in the Portland OR area, ride in the Trask/Tillamook forests and run one step richer on the pilot and main with all the stuff you mentioned pulled, I'm also running the Vortip.

Top Bottom