Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I believe I have finally learned my forks and am ready to make some changes. The forks feel fairly decent, but I am aware of a few problems.

1.The forks do tend to bottom when I feel they should not.
2. They are slightly harsh on the small stuff.

The forks are completly stock with fresh oil. I set them up as per Erics Book. I hope he does not get mad if I cut and paste this....

"The fork valving is pretty good in stock form. Heavier riders will need to change up to a stiffer spring rate like a .41 Kg. The fork oil level works best at 90 millimeters. Set the compression clicker from 4 to 8 clicks out."

OK, so I did this. The forks were improved, but I note the problems above.

The questions are...The stock spring is listed as a .43. Was there a misprint in Erics book?

Would going to a .44 spring and backing off the compression help my forks?

Should I just say "screw it" and bundle these off to Uncle Jeremy?

Thank you for helping me all of the time. I weigh 190 with my gear and am 5'-10. My riding ability if currently fair-poor. I have had several wrist surgeries and I think this makes me sensative to the forks harshness.

BBD

Apr 10, 2002
A stiffer spring will take more force to make it move and your wrist will not like that. 41's are for your wt. low speed is adjusted with the clickers and the small stuff is hi speed,which is adjusted by revalving. Go to a higher oil level if you are not there already and then back off the clickers and see if that helps. Higher oil level helps to stop the bottoming.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
put your weight into a race tech or mx tech spring rate generator and go from there. i would do some clicker experimetns before you spend the cash, i have found already that a few clciks can make a big difference!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
doc, i am trying to understand so can you help me? How differntly does a fork work with a weaker spring and a higher oil level when compared to a fork with a stronger spring and a lower oil level?

thanks

Bruce

Top Bottom