bbike

Nov 11, 2003
sup guys, i have found a cr250 for sale, its a 98 but was owned by my sisters friend but i asked him if he new of a bike (cr250) for sale, he said yes, mine is. He said that he was thinking of selling his but that it was just a thought. Him and i are really good friends and all, i am calling him back in a week to make an offer and was wondering what the bike is really worth. He used it but not abused it. The bike has never gotten more than 8 feet of the ground and that was only on a blue moon. The bike still runs strong, starts in 2 kicks, and he also has taken good care of it. He will give it to me cheaper knowing that im only 16, what price should i give him??? thanks

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Dude,

$2000 to $2200 tops.

Those were nice bikes , with good motors. It does have a single radiator( so check it over good , because a new radiator is expensive)

good luck
see ya

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Oh, I'd at least pay $1500 for any nice 250. But if he thinks 12 is enough take it. I'm asking $1300 for my '97 RM80(exc. condition though). If you know you can trust the guy ask him what he's done to it. This tells you the after markets and if he replaced anything. You should try to test ride it to see if it runs and ride alright with means no major problems. Oh yeah no clutch, well at least start it.

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
Clutches wear out just like brake pads and tires. It will cost you bout $100 bucks for a good replacement kit. 16 or $1700 is a good price, sounds like your afraid to offer to little, but 1600 aint bad for him.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
i dont want to get into a weird situation with him, i might be keeping the bike at his house since my mama and dad are so against them.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by Truespode

You need to get your parents on your side. This sport is so much better when the family is involved or at least supportive.

Ivan

Agreed! they may even chip in if ya work 'em right :) but seriously get them on your side, BTW what was your first bike? If you have proved to tthem(especialy mama) that you can ride and not get scratched (mothers get upset over the smallest scratch) you should be ok.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by RMcommando
If the bike needs a new clutch and it is only a 98 model it must have been abused.

So I guess the 2003's with new clutches must have been absolutely tortured. :think: If you think clutches should last 6+ seasons you need to ride a little harder.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yea kiddo - get your parents on your side!!!!!! About the clutch issue, what exactly is the clutch doing?? If you are feeling a "jerkyness" at engagement it could be WAY more then $100 worth of damage. Replace a notched basket sometime and you will see what I mean... If I were you I would price out a COMPLETE clutch assembly - basket, pressure plate, plates (ALL) and deduct this price from a reasonable "ready to run" offer. I think 1800 for a decent 1998 CR250 is fair, I would deduct $500 for clutch repair - offering $1300 as is. Then, to stay on the right trail with my buddy, I would take MY bike and open it up to see what it needs. If all it needs are plates, I would give him the difference (surprize him, DONT make the reimbursement part of the original deal), this would make you a HERO friend in anyones eyes...
The 98's were ok but the Honda aluminum frames have definitly improved over the years since then!!
Woodsy

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You realy need to ride it before you make a offer(or ask what he thinks he wants for it). Woodsy's right I wouldn't give over 13 as is. Ride it if moves and let us know what happens. Ask a dealer how much a repair will be after you find out(unless you plan to do labor yourself). It could be more than the clutch which means more $$.

Does the seller know whats really wrong w/ the bike? If not it's probably been abused. It most likely has if he only got about 5 years out of a clutch. Depends how hard you ride and where you ride.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
i only got 2500 bucks for every thing. As is, i am going to be getting my first car like 2 months after i get my licence. Would i be better off buying a (lets say a 2001 cr250 and taking a loan from a bank and pay it off slowly and pay for my 1st car at the same time? I am planning on getting prety good and fast since i will be riding around 300 hours a year. just to ask, is a 98 cr250 quicker than a 2003 yzf250?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I don't think a 2001 will save you any money. It doesn't have to be new to be fast. A 250F???no way those things compete in the 125 class.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
i was not talking about speed but handling. I like to get airborn and was thinking that the newer bike will have better geometry for doing that stuff. As for the yzf250, i was talking about the 4 stroke one that races with the 125's, will my 98 be quicker that one of them?

DirtRyder03

Jul 14, 2003
Originally posted by RMcommando
If the bike needs a new clutch and it is only a 98 model it must have been abused. 1700 is a bit too much, I'd say 1200.
Cheers che
are you serious? a 98' cr250's sell for $2700+ in San Diego,CA??

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
samer here, but only if they have never been used. The ones around here that are that much only have like 10 hours on them.

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
Do you have a job? or do you plan on getting a loan and paying it slowly with the money you have? I dont understand if your parents are against you having a bike, yet you plan on having them get a loan for you so you can by a bike, and a car? Hope it works out for ya.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
My mom suports it because i have such a pasion for the sport. My dad does not because he used to have a harley and almost got killed. even though the difference between a harley and a 250 are enourmous, to him, a motercycle is a motercycle. I am selling alot of my stuff so i can buy a bike and after i buy my bike im gona buy a car. the loan idea is just somthing i said without thinking, now thinking it over, it will never work out.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
another thing, could you give me the sight name of a profesional review of the 2000 cr250 and the 2000 yz250... thanks

Top Bottom