kyle_3600

Sep 4, 2005
hi, i have a 1998 kawasaki kx80 and the coolant from the radiator either goes out the over flow or leaks into the cyylinder head, i got a new rad cap and i dont know if it still goes out the overflow but it leaks into the cylinder and wont start and makes a white/gray color of liquid. i dont know if i need a new gaskey for my cylinder head or what? and if i do what torque do i tighten the bolts to i tightened them to 23 pounds is that good? and also my front forks have a problem they bottom out on everything when the front wheel lifts from the ground the lowers to the frok drop out like 8 inches from what they are at on the ground. can you please hel;p me out so i can ride again. thanks.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
first, buy Eric Gorr's book on repairing motocross bikes; it is cheap ($20) and has tons of pictures and simply written.

next, sounds to me like either your head is warped and/or your head gasket is bad. try a gasket first.

not sure i understand your fork issue, but the forks will drop a few inches when the wheel is off the ground, as will the rear wheel...if u are unsure if the forks are assembled correctly, then DO NOT ride the thing until u get them verified...compare them to another bike's forks is the first step.

ttfn,
jks

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
+1 on Eric Gorr's book. I also buy a shop manual for all my cars and bikes to have the correct torque values.

When you pull the head to replace the gasket -- which is very simple on these 2 strokes -- use a straightedge to check the head for flatness. Move it around the full diameter and look for any light shining through. If you see gap(s) it means its warped and has to be machined or replaced.

We'd need a lot more info to understand the forks. For example, if you're a 300 lb guy trying to use this as a pitbike with stock springs or something :)

kyle_3600

Sep 4, 2005
the forks

hi, if i need to explain the fork problem more i will, the forks dont just drop a couple inches they drop like 5 inches +. and they are really really soft if i go off a jump my back wheel would be in the air and my front will be lower cause the froks drop then when i land completely bottoms out over like a 2 foot jump even.

199kx60

Sep 24, 2007
i had that problem with my 1999 kx 60 it would not start. then i replaced the gaskets and everything and it always starts but sometimes i see just a little bit of coolent on the outside of the block. i am not sure what to do now but i drain the fluid very often to make sure nothing major happens. i have a ttr 125l now so io do not ride the 60 much but almost everytime io ride it for like 10 minutes and the drain the fluids. i would also like to know more about this.

thanks tom

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
the reason your having coolant get in the piston is because your sparkplug might not be on tight enough, I read a story like yours so I could be right.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
RM85rider123 said:
the reason your having coolant get in the piston is because your sparkplug might not be on tight enough, I read a story like yours so I could be right.

WHAAAAA? :whoa:

Kyle, do you have/had oil leaking from your front forks? sounds like either youre a 200lb guy riding an 80 or you have no fluid in your forks (or the springs are heavily worn out)

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
RM85rider123 said:

HUH? :coocoo: :whoa: :|

I don't think so. Where did you get this mis-information?

Rotor

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
kyle_3600 said:
hi, i have a 1998 kawasaki kx80 and the coolant from the radiator either goes out the over flow or leaks into the cyylinder head, i got a new rad cap and i dont know if it still goes out the overflow but it leaks into the cylinder and wont start and makes a white/gray color of liquid. i dont know if i need a new gaskey for my cylinder head or what? and if i do what torque do i tighten the bolts to i tightened them to 23 pounds is that good? and also my front forks have a problem they bottom out on everything when the front wheel lifts from the ground the lowers to the frok drop out like 8 inches from what they are at on the ground. can you please hel;p me out so i can ride again. thanks.

You need to buy a shop manual for the bike. It's the most important thing you can do for your bike.

Sounds like something is terribly wrong with the forks. Either the damper rods have come loose, or maybe the bushings are shot out. Either way, it needs to be fixed now. It could be dangerous if the forks would happen to come apart. And a manual will show you what to look for, and how to repair it.

Rotor

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
ZOMBIE666 said:
WHAAAAA? :whoa:

Kyle, do you have/had oil leaking from your front forks? sounds like either youre a 200lb guy riding an 80 or you have no fluid in your forks (or the springs are heavily worn out)

Another good possibility! :nod:

Rotor

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Wow, between this post and the one about the 2 quarts of oil in the 85 cc bike, I think someone needs to start a "manuals for motorcycles" non profit charity.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
2strokerfun said:
Wow, between this post and the one about the 2 quarts of oil in the 85 cc bike, I think someone needs to start a "manuals for motorcycles" non profit charity.

what? a 85 wont hold 2 quarts? :rotfl:

kyle_3600

Sep 4, 2005
i ordered gaskets but they didnt come in yet so i put this gasket maker stuff on and put my bike back together i dont know if its still getting into the cylinder it doesnt seem like it and if it is it aint that bad cause it runs its just all of the coolant come out of the overflow. how do i fix this i got 2 new rad caps and it still does it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
kyle_3600 said:
i ordered gaskets but they didnt come in yet so i put this gasket maker stuff on and put my bike back together i dont know if its still getting into the cylinder it doesnt seem like it and if it is it aint that bad cause it runs its just all of the coolant come out of the overflow. how do i fix this.

First of all, listen to the advice already given. (Except for the loose sparkplug remark.)

Buy a manual.

Read the manual.

Replace your head gasket with the proper gasket.

Torque the head to the proper specs. (Found in your manual.)

Don't use gasket maker stuff in place of proper gaskets.

Make sure you are using a 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water in your radiators.

Read your manual.

Your forks will need to be disassembled and inspected. Either something has come loose or your springs are completely sacked out and need to be replaced. It would be dangerous to ride the bike until you find out what the problem is.

You will find step by step instructions on how to do this IN YOUR MANUAL.

Don't be so anxious to ride your bike that you mickey mouse things back together. Take the time to get the right parts and read the manual to find out the correct way to repair your bike. Otherwise, you will wind up with a piece of crap that will not be reliable and worthless to resell.

Read your manual.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom