whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The darndest thing happened yesterday. A wayward old KX showed up to my door. It needs a new countershaft, sprocket and such. The previous owner found some way to strip the shaft where the sprocket went on, then welded it, kinda. Thats the easy one though. It seems something happened to the kick start return pawl, and it cracked the right case pretty good. Where are all the used kaw parts at? A new set of cases would surely send my wife to say something negative, I am sure! I may clean it up and see what AJ says? After gathering parts for the 97 CR 250, I was beside myself at the lack of Kaw parts. And this was the bike of the year? Brakes were love/hate? It needs a different link? And no top end? This is actually my younger sons steed. I liked it because I am pretty sure the bore can get way big, 3 something? Definitely going to need some really strong springs, he weighs over 230. So, what years are inter changeable, and who has the used cases stash? Vintage Bob

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The darndest thing happened yesterday. A wayward old KX showed up to my door. It needs a new countershaft, sprocket and such. The previous owner found some way to strip the shaft where the sprocket went on, then welded it, kinda. Thats the easy one though. It seems something happened to the kick start return pawl, and it cracked the right case pretty good. Where are all the used kaw parts at?

Ebay is your best bet. maybe find a bike on CL to take parts from.

A new set of cases would surely send my wife to say something negative, I am sure! I may clean it up and see what AJ says? After gathering parts for the 97 CR 250, I was beside myself at the lack of Kaw parts. And this was the bike of the year? Brakes were love/hate? It needs a different link? And no top end? This is actually my younger sons steed. I liked it because I am pretty sure the bore can get way big, 3 something? Definitely going to need some really strong springs, he weighs over 230. So, what years are inter changeable, and who has the used cases stash? Vintage Bob

I know they got to 265 or 285 on big bores.
Springs, you are going aftermarket for them.

Brakes, best thing to do is get a late model like 02-06 CRF master cylinder and SS brake line. That will fix up the front brake. You can check lightspeedperf.com see if they have a later model CR routing kit with new plastic fork guards and brake line. cleans up the routing a lot.

Suspension is dated, but as I remember really good stock. The next year is when they started to mess it up and make it harsh.

The parts fische say 98-99 are the only interchangeable part numbers for the cases. 14001-1241

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thanks Matt! The tranny, forks, crank and Barnet clutch spec out sweet. Original plating really does not seem too bad, but out of spec, ovaled. I am going to warm that case up, and peel all that epoxy off. Completely forgot, my older son Ryan had that same bike. It ripped, he loved it. Box stock. Vintage Bob

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I had a 98 and loved it. My only gripe was it turned like a truck, you couldn't turn tight without folding the front end. MX Tech has the perfect set up for the suspension. Pete Payne did the 265 kit and man did that thing have plenty of power. It was very 4 stroke-ish, you could lug the engine a gear high even 2 if you dabbed the clutch. The cases have to be bought as a set and they aint cheap, thankfully Pete was able to weld me up.
I'm not positive but I think you can build those to 310cc. I know "Senoir KX Rider" had Eric Gorr make his 99 a 310.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Argh! It seems all the exhaust valve parts are shot. The aluminum gears are wayyyy too sloppy. Did Kaw go to an electric exhaust valve set up, like Honda? The 4 stroke like power should be great for my younger son. The 2 stroke power band hit has always caused him near panic. But, he can ride the crap out of a thumper! And the truck turning thing is what I have heard also, so I need 2 sets of 20mm clamps! Dang chopper bikes. Vintage Bob

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
You have a manual? If not PM me your address and I give you my clymer manual, I don't need it any more

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thank you MXSparx! At this point, everything helps! A set of ratty cases for under 100 dollars is not bad? A complete bottom end, rod froze for 160, not too bad? Hopefully they are telling the truth? I sure like the paypal security! Vintage Bob

Top Bottom