ivanivz

May 19, 2009
Hey, i recently bought an rm 125 dirt bike, when ii bought it, the gears switched good and worked fine, i decided to change the oil and filled the crankcase with belray 80w gear oil 750ml, after the oil change, i noticed it takes 2 clicks to switch into 4th and sometimes 5th and it takes about 6 shifts down to get from 6th gear to 1st, also when i ride, sometimes, it dosnt shift into 5th gear all the way. For example, when im riding fast i switch from 4th up into 5th and then it revs high and after like 2 seconds it goes into gear, this happens rarely and i think its because im not shifting all the way in, i have no idea what the problem can be and it only started happening after i changed the oil, plz reply with suggestions

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You answered your own problem. Get a service manual, and put the proper oil in. It also sounds like your clutch is not working properly, it could be from your choice of oil also. Plenty of people around here are using atf fluid, especially on Suzuki's without issues, just change it a lot what ever you use. If it shifts that hard you are going to break something or worse. And WELCOME to the DRN!

ivanivz

May 19, 2009
when i bought the bike, the guy said he changed the clutch and it seems to work fine, also, i have no idea of what oil to use, can you plz give me some suggestions

ivanivz

May 19, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
You answered your own problem. Get a service manual, and put the proper oil in. It also sounds like your clutch is not working properly, it could be from your choice of oil also. Plenty of people around here are using atf fluid, especially on Suzuki's without issues, just change it a lot what ever you use. If it shifts that hard you are going to break something or worse. And WELCOME to the DRN!
can you give me an idea of what kind of oil to use??

ivanivz

May 19, 2009
i went to the dirtbike shop and they said it was better, so i have no idea what to use, i guess i will take your idea and use 10-40w, also, does anyone know how much it would cost to rebuild the transmission

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The mechanical side, there are 2 spring loaded rollers that hold the drum in place, they could be loose. The shift shaft could be out of alignment with the shift drum star ratchet, its got to be in the middle in neutral. Or your forks are wearing out. Are there a lot of metal shavings? That would mean splitting the cases, the shifter and pawls are behind the clutch.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Suzuki's here.
Automotive ATF type F works like a champ.

ivanivz

May 19, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The mechanical side, there are 2 spring loaded rollers that hold the drum in place, they could be loose. The shift shaft could be out of alignment with the shift drum star ratchet, its got to be in the middle in neutral. Or your forks are wearing out. Are there a lot of metal shavings? That would mean splitting the cases, the shifter and pawls are behind the clutch.
yes, but i mean it shifts fine its just i could feel like 2 clicks before it shifts into gear, is that normal with suzuki bikes because i had a kawasaki and it seemed to do that to

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Sorry to thread jack.

I have an early 90's CR250R... I've been running gear saver 75w-90... Anyways, I the clutch seems to grab early... I was wondering what does everyone else use for gear oil?
Is it safe to use motor oil? or ATF?

I checked a manual and it said honda fluids... so what can the honda stuff be compared too?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
GarbatyA4 said:
Is it safe to use motor oil? or ATF?
I never had a problem running Castrol gtx(2~3 dollars) 20-50 motor oil in Honda 2 strokes. Change as often as is required. My sons thumpers ran the fancy Honda oils(8~10 dollars). He started loosing clutch plates, I switched to Xamax (15 dollars)and the plates quit wearing, and the hubs started wearing premature. He quit abusing the clutch, and we went back to the Honda oils. The clutch has 2 positions, in and out. Anything else is abusive, plain and simple. There is no cure. Grabby clutch, you need to take the clutch apart and check for notches in the hubs and basket, and worn/warped plates. Honda's have the best, and Suzuki the worst fiber plates, IMO. Or, a simple change in oil, just like the original poster.

Top Bottom