Help 1998 RM250 no spark woes-new parts

joshcr250

Jun 27, 2014
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Recently bought myself a 1998 RM 250 for cheap because it had no spark. I am a transport truck mechanic by trade so I know my way around electronics/multimeter pretty good. However, this is stumping me.
Previous owner had installed a new stator and ignition coil on the bike when I bought it, I bought a new CDI just for the heck of it. Still no spark. Disconnected the killswitch from the circuit and download a manual for a few years that include 1998. Tested all resistances and they were in spec, however..when kicking it over long and hard the new stator would peak at 10v AC.This seems too low. Any suggestions? Suzuki has discontinued OEM stators. In summary, the bike has a new stator, pick up coil, ignition coil. CDI and all the wires checked out okay for resistance. Am I missing something? I am checking for power output from CDI going to the coil and there's no power. I am suspect that the stator isnt generating enough.
Testing with a multimeter with peak max/min recordings to see A/C.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

joshcr250

Jun 27, 2014
Does anyone have a good known stator they would like to sell? RMstator let me down pretty good. Would rather buy an oem but none available through suzuki

joshcr250

Jun 27, 2014
I just wanted to follow up for anyone else having this issue. I replaced the NEW stator with a used one from an older RM that had the same dimensions and it worked like a charm.

the problem was the stator was not outputting enough voltage. When I tested the used stator it would generate 30+ volts a/c just by gently pushing the kick starter with your hand with the plug out.

buttoned it all up and installed it and it fired right up. Been running fine since, no issues. Hope this helps

joshcr250

Jun 27, 2014
that being said, I would NOT recommend buying a stator from RMstator as I had two BRAND NEW stators from them that had less than 10v a/c output when you kicked the hell out of them.

they are a company in Canada but the box the part shows up in says “made in China” go figure

Top Bottom