Time Bandit

Aug 4, 2009
Whenever I accelerate it pops/backfires and hesitates, it does this in all gears but it idols fine. sometimes when I go to take off it will backfire at the worst time dropping rpms and stalling the bike. Please any suggestions would be great, I've been trying to solve this for a month now.

Time Bandit

Aug 4, 2009
It started when I bought it a month ago, it only has 1100 miles and never rebuilt. I cleaned the carb with not much success. I did buy a service manual hoping it would tell me how to adjust the valves but it didn't say much, just to measure the cams. Can the valves for sure be adjusted on this bike?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Did you remove and clean all of the jets? If the bike is 11 years old and has 1100 miles, that tells me it has been stored alot. Bikes that have been stored alot tend to have carb issues. Buy a kit (they are not expensive) and rebuild the carb. It doesnt make sense to look for bigger issues when you could have an easy fix.

Time Bandit

Aug 4, 2009
If I do this should I get all new stock jets? The same size and everything? I already cleaned the jets too, I know they're not clogged or is there something I'm missing?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Not sure if this is the type of carb you have but if it is. Check the valve assembly on the upper side of the carb. Make sure the diaphragm is good and that it is seated properly up to the carb. If this assembly is damaged or leaking it cause it to pop and crack.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
The rebuild kit will come with stock jets. Some people dont know what they are doing and they over/under jet. The previous owner of my (since sold) RM125 installed a huge main jet in the carb...it was completely wrong...thats why you want to start with stock.

Of course, I cannot guaranty that is the problem, but I think it is a good starting place. If it isnt the problem and you plan on keeping the bike, you will have a rebuilt carb that shouldnt need attention for a while.

Top Bottom