250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Hello everybody:

As I have mentioned before, I am on the market for a new used bike to use for woods riding. I have been looking around, mostly at late 90's 250 2-strokes, but then I came across this, a YZ400F. I've heard of 450's.. but never a 4 stroke 400. Even as a die hard 2-stroke rider, I am a little intruiged by this...... it could be just the perfect bike for me, you never know, (although I really do dislike 4-strokes, but hey, I'll give it a try). SO my question is, does this bike actually exist, and if so, is it a good bike? Any profound issues? Is it actually a race bike? I would just like to know a little more about it, thanks all.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
It exists and yes it is a race bike the first 4 stroke race bike Yamaha produced in the late 90's it led to the yz426f and then the yz450f's that you see today it is the first of it's kind in the Japanese bikes. Unless it's been cared for really good it's entire life which is hard to know unless you actually know the seller which I doubt you do am I right? I would stay away from it just because if it blows you will put enough money into it to step up to the 2000 plus model range.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
250girl.

I would shy away from it if I were you. For trail riding they are geared too tall in first gear and are a bit quirky to start. Some of the parts are not available since they only made them for a couple of years and then went to a 426cc engine like yamarider said. They sit pretty tall, not good for a shorter person.

A better choice for a fourstroke trail bike would be a WR Yamaha or a XR Honda imo. The later model Yamahas are much easier to start than the 400 series.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
From some of your other posts, I have the impression that a managable size (light, lower to the ground) bike was a important factor for you. A YZ400 is neither. They can be a bear for a full size 200 lb guy to start (kick only). Based on your prior posts, a KTM 200 would be about ideal - ample power, light, easy to manage, set up for the woods, competitive if you want to race enduros or hare scrambles, but still very well suited for casual trail riding. I have a 05 KTM 250, and my son has a 03 KTM 200. While the actual weight and size difference is not huge, when I climb on the 200 it feels like a feather - nothing there. It is basically a 125 sized chassis with a 200 motor stuffed in. I have a ball riding the 200 - very flickable, fun factor sort of bike. the shorter wheel based makes it an easy to wheelie bike as well.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Wow, you guys really do pay attention to me!! :)

Yeah, I talked to my dad and he doesn't seem to think that a YZ400F is a good idea.

As for size and weight, I have been doing some riding on a 2007 YZ250F. That bike is incredibly light, I can handle it quite easily , but it's so.......... boring :whoa: I mean, it handles great, but it just doesn't have that 2smoke snap, it is just kind of dull. My old WR literally crushes me, it is really quite emberrasing. But I found the '01 CR250 that I borrowed for a while to be a very nice bike. Good power, handles like a dream, starts easy, light enough that I can throw it around a little. Great bike, just too bad it isn't a YZ or SX ;)

But after all this, I think I am definetely sticking to 2-strokes, they have done well for me, suit my riding, and don't confuzzle me like those messed up 4-strokes do :blah:

And if I can find one used, I would like to try out one of those KTM200's. They sound like fun.Thanks for the advice everybody, you're my heroes ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
250girl said:
Wow, you guys really do pay attention to me!! :)
I would like to try out one of those KTM200's. They sound like fun.

I don't think that would be a good choice for you 250girl. Those KTM's have the big wide foot pegs and short rear fenders. You could get your high heels caught in the pegs and the short fender will make your miniskirt fly up in the back. :whoa: :yikes: JK. :rotfl:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Duck and cover!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
BSWIFT said:
Duck and cover!

Awwwwwww, 250 girl knows I'm just goofin' on her after reading her post about 'Doubling on a MX bike'. ;)

That left a mental image that's hard to forget. :yikes: :laugh: :rotfl:

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
BSWIFT said:
Duck and cover!

Oh come on :fft: I'm not that bad am I? DON"T answer that!

The short fender will be great, a little breeze never hurt anybody...... :p And I find heels aren't too good for biking, however , flip-flops are a great for biking!! Gotta love that balled up muscle in your foot after trying to kick over a 250 in flip flops. Truly invigorating!! Plus, it encourages you to hop up and down on one foot while hollering, which helps to perfect your balance and improve your singing voice. Gee,there is so much you guys could learn from me :nod:

Last edited:
Top Bottom