1999 45 mm Marzocchi fork question

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
Hi,

I have a 1999 200 exc and need better front fork action before I do the 6 days of Michigan.

I have the two different wieght oils in the tubes, and do reqular matainance but I need better (more plushness) action for the 6 straight days.

This came to may attention will on a two day ride and the bike swapping done with teh other guys I was riding with.

Any and all sugestions welcome.

thanks

Vern Egli

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Well this bike has a 7.0-9.0 prog. rear spring & .40 fork springs. I don't know your weight but this seems a little unbalanced and with them this soft in frt. they will ride down & feel harsh. Check your rear sag to make sure its not to stiff then maybe lower the forks in the clamps to help take weight off the frt. Ideally you may need to respring.

doc

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
Thanks Shockdoc,

I have already resprung the front(42 or 44's) and had Alan at Lansing cycle (Mike Lafferty's mechanic) debur the insides.

He says that there is not much he can do with the forks because they were not that good of product, but there has to be a fix out there somewhere.

I have heard of a KYB cartridge change but talked to no one that has done it.

I am running a straight rate spring on the back now, but I have have 5 different ones in my shop for it. (both progressive and straight)

As to the weight question I am about 180lbs and ride mainly Michigan trails and a few local tracks, the years of being an A class motocrosser are over, bones mend slower at my age.

thanks

Vern Egli

Last edited:

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Vegil
I have a customer who went the KYB internal kit way and said it was definatly better but didn't know if it was worth what it cost better.

doc

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Vern,
KYB internal Kit revalved again is the way to go! The fork is very good with those mods. If your swaping in MI it i sfrom the compression actually being to soft. Believe it or not if you add compression in deep whoops you'll find you fight the bike much less! Your .44 springs are touch firm for 180 in Sandy offroad condtions.

Regards,
Jer

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
Hi Jeremy,

I checked and I have the 42's in right now.

What is the cost for the KYB kit?

thanks

Vern

Top Bottom