1999 CR250, cylinder base gasket cutting?

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
I just did the top and bottom end on my 99 cr 250 and now about an hour after putting the whole bike together and filling it with fluids, my dad who helped out tells me he thinks there was a piece of the cylinder base gasket that covered a port or hole of sort in the cases that he thought was supposed to be cut out.
Does anyone know if Honda sells these gaskets with some of the holes not already cut out?

Should I just leave it and go ahead and try to run it assuming that 1) if it covered the intake port the bike won't run anyway and then I can check it.

Or 2) if it covered a passageway for coolant the bike will boil over and I'll know there's a problem.

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
if it is covering the coolant i would take it apart and check. the people that hadmy bike before silconed the water ports and it fried the motor. new piston rings and re cromed

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
there's gotta be an easy way to check for fluid flow without having to pull the cylinder head again. I figured after that if the intake ports were blocked the bike wouldn't have any compression. If the water ports are blocked I should be able to check the fluid exit tube that goes back to the rad or something

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
Trust me on this one, if there is any doubt that there may be a problem just check it. I just $570 to fix my top end because I was too lazy. Unless of course someone knows a way to check without taking it apart.

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
I just listed how I plan on checking it without taking it apart. I'm just waiting for someone to post a reply agreeing with it or telling me why it wouldn't work.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
If only 1 or 2 of the coolant passages are blocked, then it's still going to have plently of flow and you won't be able to tell the difference. You may get localized heating due to the blocked passages. Uneven heat in the cylinder will cause distortion, and if it's severe enough, warp it. It's no big deal to slide the cyl. up enough to check and be sure. Since you just put it together, you won't have to worry about the gasket sticking and tearing. I agree with the others, take it back apart and double check. It's worth the little bit of work it takes just for the peace of mind.

Marc -

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
well, considering I just tore the engine completely down, rebuilt the transmission, bottom end and top end, put the rest of the bike together and filled it all with fluids I'm a little hesitant to strip off all my plastic, the tank, the carburetor or subframe, drain my rad fluid, remove my cylinder bracing, exhaust pipe, and coil just to check something so unlikely, but I guess since I can't find anyone with the knowledge to help I'll go ahead and do it. I wish it was as little as just sliding the cylinder up.

CR500pilot

Feb 29, 2000
As I have my cylinder off being bored, I checked the bottom end. The gasket has 2 holes (round) at the front of the engine, roughly between the front cylinder studs. Everything else is covered except the exhaust valve linkage. I didn't pickup the new gaskets yet, but I'll let you know if they're the same.

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
thanks alot man, the part he thought needed to be cut was at the carburetor side of the base, let me know how the new gasket is.

Top Bottom