1999 KDX 200 w/ Big Bore Kit.. Advice??

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
I found a decent looking 1999 KDX 200 w/ a "250 big bore kit". I researched a little and only found a 240 kit.

Also, does anyone have experience with big bore kits on the KDX's?

Also has:
Doug Harvey racing suspension, carbon fiber reeds, All new barings, new sproket, Pro circuit racing development
platinum-2 pipe, New clutch cable, like new front and rear back tires.

Asking $999
Good buy?
Thanks!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Setting aside the big bore kit for a moment, a 99 KDX in otherwise good shape with the new stuff as you described, for $999 seems like a rather good deal (IF it really is as they are saying!)

On the big bore kit - this spring I did quite a bit of research on these online - you should do some searches on DRN, or on Google for KDX Big Bore, or KDX 240. I never came across a single reference to a 250 though. I have came across people who have ran overbore pistons of " 50 over", incorrectly thinking that meant it was 50 CC over. But, for a stock KDX, to even go with a "50 over" piston, would require replacing the sleeve with a iron sleeve, not a plated sleeve like they have stock. But, what did I find on the true "240" big bore equipped KDX's was a rather mixed bag. ALmost unniversally, people would say they are great on the bottom end power, but flat out do not rev out on top, with poor top end power. the only qualifier to that seemed to be if the bike had had the cylinder very specifically (and extensively as I understand it) ported in response to the big bore kit. (Eric Gorr porting usually). The trouble with a 240 kit on a KDX is the result is an extremely oversquare motor, which is very hard to port for such it has any top end.

My conclusion was to stay away from the big bore equipped KDX's - I am not saying they are bad - i know there are several guys on DRN with them that love them - but for my needs, it seemed to be best to stay with the good old reliable, well performing stock bore KDX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom