mg175150

May 25, 2005
I am brand new to the world of dirt bikes. I have a friend who is trying to get rid of a 1999 Kawasaki KX500 for $2000. The bike is in very good condition and hasn't been riden all that much.

I live in a mountainous area with plenty of forest as well as open space. I wanna ride on trails but also want to ride in open space and learn how to hit jumps.

1. First off is this a good deal? The bike is in my home town and thus I would not have to travel anywhere to get it.

2. I have heard from a few people this week that a KX500 is about as powerful as it gets, and some said to powerful to even have fun. How true is this observation?

3. If I do go on trails in the forest and can't always be going 80 mph, is the power band on the KX500 way to touchy to even have fun?

4. Why are the KX250's worth more than the KX500's? My buddy said the 250's have better technology? Why aren't there many 500 class motocross races, in comparison to the many 250 class?

Forgive my ignorance on any questions. Like I said I am brand new to this. I'm afraid that if I don't buy this bike I may never get one at all.

By the way I am 27 yrs old, 5' 10", 180 lbs, and relatively physically fit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
1. It's a fair deal if the bike is in good shape.
2.Yes a KX500 is about as powerfull as it gets, and they are very fun to ride, if you know what you are doing, and have some respect for the throttle.
3. no
4.Supply and demand. Most people are plenty happy with the 45 or so horse power of a 250. Yes the 250's are far superior in the technology dept.. Given the choices, you can go faster on a 250.

I'd pass. If you plan on riding at an MX track, or jumping at all, a 500 is not in your future. Find a 250 of about the same year and let it rip! Hope that helps, YZ165

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
MG,

Based simply on what you have said here I will have to say NO! a KX500 is not the bike for you. I have been woods racing on and off for thirty years and I thought that I wanted one of these until I tried it. It is just more bike than I need in the woods and I am 6'1" and 215 lbs. I am considerably slower on a 500 than a KX250 or KTM 300. The bike is a handful to say it conservativley. In my opinion it is no bike for a beginner or novice rider. There is no such thing as taking it easy on a dirt bike. We each ride to our experience level plus a little. That plus a little on a 500 will get a beginner in a lot of trouble in a hurry. There may be those who disagree with me but I will say again that a KX500 is not the place for you to start.

I think that you should be looking at a KDX200 or similar bike. The KX250 costs more than the KX500 because the last revision to the 500 was about 1994. KX250's are revised every year. Also, the 250 is in a higher demand. I expect that Kawasaki sold twenty or more 250's to every single 500 sold.

Greggory

Jun 17, 2005
I have one a 98 model still brand new!
I have had some form of bike since 69 (man I'm getting old) I raced the 125 class yz and honda for years way back when the elsinore honda first came out.
I have yet to ride a bike as fast as the kx500 it will blow away my vtx 1800.
When you take a jump and bump the gas just right you'll land on the MOON!

If I were getting one now it would be a 250 class bike.
Greg

Top Bottom