dom

Dec 31, 2001
A local sport-bike dealer has a 1999 VOR Enduro that they took in on trade that they are willing to let go for cheap.

Are parts hard to come by?

Are there any problems with the '99? I know they didn't import many that year.

I was planning to get a kdx but this looks like it has more power, better suspension and light weight. This is going to be my first bike but I've ridden quite a bit. I've ridden a KDX, WR400, XR400 and CR250 and the KDX was the easiest to ride but I felt like I'd out grow it in a few months and need to spend money on lots of upgrades. I loved the WR but around here they are out of my price range. It seems like the VOR is similar to the WR in size (though lighter) with even better suspension goodies.

Go for it or stay far away?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I would need to know more about the bike before giving my answer. I have owned 4 of them. There are a few more VOR guys that frequent the site. Tell me more...(i.e. size,en or vcross or mx, what type of riding,shape it's in,etc.)

What is cheap?

dom

Dec 31, 2001
About $2k

It is a 503 enduro, looks to be in VG shape for a used dirtbike. I'll be ridding mostly woods but fire roads on occasion and sand once or twice a year. I'd like to do HS but I need to get a bit better first.

I'm just shy of 6'2 @ 240 and I'm a pretty aggressive rider. I'll be ridding a lot with my buddy that is training for ISDEs. He'll be on a KTM 530 this year for class reasons but he prefers the 400. Others have a CR250 and KTM 400.

My friend that is training for ISDEs had a '99 VOR motard so I'll try to talk to him about it but he's out of town and I don't want to miss what looks like a smokin' deal.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
dom said:
About $2k

It is a 503 enduro, looks to be in VG shape for a used dirtbike. I'll be ridding mostly woods but fire roads on occasion and sand once or twice a year. I'd like to do HS but I need to get a bit better first.

I'm just shy of 6'2 @ 240 and I'm a pretty aggressive rider. I'll be ridding a lot with my buddy that is training for ISDEs. He'll be on a KTM 530 this year for class reasons but he prefers the 400. Others have a CR250 and KTM 400.

My friend that is training for ISDEs had a '99 VOR motard so I'll try to talk to him about it but he's out of town and I don't want to miss what looks like a smokin' deal.

I sent you a pm!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I owned a 2000 VOR 400mx for about a year and a half and learned much from the experience. The 2000 and prior years (actually the 2000's were improved) had soft cam gear issues. It seems that the gears liked to wear out REAL fast (did you know that they are gear driven cam?) Also, I tried for over a year to get a front sprocket for mine (yours will take the same sprocket) and was told my Maricio (original importer who is dead now) that VOR doesnt make that particular sprocket anymore cause there just wasnt enough bikes sold to warrant it. He tried to get Sprocket Specialties to manufacture them (you can get the rear from SS) but they said the same thing. I end up with a 10 thousand dollar bike and NO place to buy a somple front sprocket!!! If you do go ahead and get the VOR you will have to take a front sprocket from a 2001 and shave .020 from the internal splines with a dremel tool to make it fit! Also the early model 503's had clutch pressure plate issues that were VERY costly!! A REALLY good friend of mine still has a 2000 and he still has not fiqured out the proper suspention settings and he has had his to 2 different suspention tuners (over $2000 in just suspentino work :( - I just rode mine (it was like a school bus in the woods!!!) and had fun on it until I discovered VOR's real problems!! Frame flex was also a MAJOR issue - it was WIERD!! Bottom line - Unless it is cheap (by that I mean a LOT cheaper then you are talking) I wouldnt buy another "off brand" bike - that is one thing that the VOR really did for me!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Woodsy

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Ouch Woodsey.. I was thinking of trading my 1996 Honda cr250 in for a 2000/1 enduro 400 model, i have heard that they are a great bike and would be far better suited for enduros and harescrambles and also blasts across fields than my bike!! Any other thoughts/suggestions i just think my honda is too exhausting to ride for long periods. Would a trade of my bike and say 500 be a good deal? The guys are the VOR dealers for Ireland AND Uk.

dom

Dec 31, 2001
FWIW, I didn't get the VOR I was advised that the '99 frames are prone to cracking. It is a sweet bike and the guys over at ThumperTalk seem to love them though. It turns out that a friend of a friend has a nice KDX200 that I'm going to pick up.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Youll get boared of the kdx fast............try aGasGas ECE250 or a ktm200/250 enduro...if you enjoy riding aggressively and fast... this is how.(They are also easy to ride slow!!)

dom

Dec 31, 2001
I'm gonna get the KDX and springs are at the top of my list (as is dropping some weight). I fully expect to get another bike next year and keep the KDX as a backup/girlfriend bike.

Thanks Guys.

Top Bottom