May 29, 2009
I have a 1999 YZ 125, and just recently my carb has started leaking when I turn on the gas and let it sit there for about 10 seconds without starting it, and it also leaks gas when I stop the bike and dont turn the gas off. It is coming out of the very bottom of the carb so I believe it has to do with the floats and I dont know how to adjust them. Any help?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
well if you dont know what you are doing, you have 2 choices. Take it to a shop or buy a shop manual and start learning.

Most likely you do have a needle/seat problem. Dont know if it will just need a good cleaning and float adjustment or parts replacement due to the ethanol fuels.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The leak is probably due to the float valve not sealing properly. This may be corrected by simply taking it apart and cleaning it but the float valve might need to be replaced. The valve and seat can easily be replaced. In some cases you can buy a carburetor rebuild kit that has the valve plus all the gaskets you need. If such a kit is not available then I suggest buying the valve/seat plus the float bowl gasket.

A repair manual will tell you what the float height should be and how to measure it.

Rod

truckster225

Jun 11, 2009
I would start by removing it and giving it a proper cleaning. When i did it for the first time, I just took a whack of pictures so I knew how to put it back together.

Sometimes you just get a little build-up of crap in your carb. Its pretty common. Once you clean it and reassemble it, you will probably find its not leaking anymore.

I always say, rule out the small things first!

Good luck!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom