2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
hey have this 1999 yz 125 and have dont have one mechanical bone in my body, anyway the clutch is slipping real bad into 1st but works well anywere else, then when it sits for awile the oil leaks but doesnt mess with the proformance, i need some help as to how to fix it and how bad my wallet will hurt....

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Dude we need to go riding! People here are always real helpful. Good luck.
---Dylan

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Sounds like you need to find a buddy that can help you with the maintenance of the bike - or - take it to a shop and have it maintained.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
we're probably gonna work on it together. We're just looking for causes and how to fix it. I have a basic knowledge.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
i just bought the bike i was planning on fixing it up so i just need to know what to do cause i want to do it myself and my buddy is a pretty good wrencher.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
what do you mean by stalling? If the engine is about to quit running when you put it into gear it doesn't sound like a clutch slipping to me , if the clutch is slipping the engine would freely rev with less power getting to the rear wheel,more noticeable(?) when in a higher gear when going up a hill,,,engine revs vehicle don't go forward.

any how normal causes for clutch slipping is clutch plates and/or pressure plate worn/warped and/or clutch springs worn/sacked out, if the clutch is dragging the plates could be warped, the basket grooved,or the bearings/bushings and thrust washers the basket rides on could be siezing. either way get a clymers manual for your bike,take it apart and measure/inspect everything

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
thanks that'll get me going, what do you think about the oil, probably really simple im just no mechanic.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
what i mean by the clutch slipping is itll idle fine rev fine i pull in the clutch pop it into 1st and when i do that the clutch starts to release itself enough to where the bike stalls.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I'm not sure about everyone else but my oil plug has an o-ring. Maybe the reason the oil is leaking is something as simple as a busted or missing o-ring? What do you guys think?

---Dylan

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
ask robert he'll know hey and check out Shady Grove Motocross track in irving it looks nice, we should go,

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
2stroker144 said:
what i mean by the clutch slipping is itll idle fine rev fine i pull in the clutch pop it into 1st and when i do that the clutch starts to release itself enough to where the bike stalls.

That isn't slipping that is clutch drag.

The problem might just be that the clutch cable is out of adjustment and not releasing the clutch enough. The adjustment is up on the handlebars. Probably a "locknut" you need to loosen first, then twist the threaded cable end. These should be thumb screws, no tools required. To get more clutch release you need to "unscrew" the cable, pulling it farther out of the mount.

If that doesn't fix the problem then it is residual drag. Every bike I have had experience with will do that to some degree. If it like my bikes it will be much more noticeable when the bike is cold but more tolerable when it is warmed up. It is also largely affected by the viscosity and type of oil you use. I have had better results using a 5W-20 synthetic motor oil.

If the thinner oil doesn't help and the drag is so bad that you can't idle the engine with the clutch in and in gear then the problem is probably with the clutch itself. The clutch is made up of a stack of plate, where the stack of plates alternates between connecting to the engine or transmission. When you squeeze the clutch lever it releases the pressure clamping the stack together. If all the plates are perfectly flat then it doesn't take much distance to provide clearance for the plates to spin next to each other. But if one or more of the plates has become warped then the clutch can not fully release.

As for the oil leak, it would help if you told us where the leak was coming from. If someone had been working on the clutch and didn't put a new gasket on then it could be leaking from the cover. If it is leaking out by the sprocket then the seal has gone bad.

Just out of curiosity, what does the oil leaking out look like?

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom