1st anniversary Arenacross by Jeff part 2

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Just made it home from the 2nd night of AX in the Heart of Texas. I'm pleased to say I had the same results as last night in the over 30 class. With the exception of myself and 2 other riders there was a whole new bunch of racers in my class.

Practice was uneventfull again but when it was time for my heat/qualifier, I think I rode the best I've ever riden. Even Tigger said I didn't suck and looked very fast & smooth, that's a lot coming from her :p . I got so engrossed in watching the 125 pro main, which was the race just before mine, that I was late getting to the gate for my good gate pick I had coming. Didn't matter though, I still got to get where I wanted but just about the time we were getting the signal my bike died, forgot to turn on the gas. I think that was an omen. I turned it on and kicked like hell before she finally fired up. The gate dropped and I got a pretty good start untill the two fastest guys laid down in front of me in the first turn. I managed to get around them but the half dozen or so other guys did too and they were faster at it than me. From an almost stopped position I went for the 1st double and made it, so far so good. Around the next turn and over the catapult (I don't jump that thing) I went. The next turn and I was looking at the rythym section. I hadn't seen the track since my heat and there have been 23 races before mine, including 3 pro races. They all must've been hitting the rythym section in the exact same place because it was worn down really good in the middle, I was on the left. :eek: I went ahead and doubled 3 times and made it through, moving up a couple of spots. Around the next corner and through the whoops, it was really rough tonight. The next lap was going well, I passed a couple more guys and was getting pretty close to the front when I heard a bike behind me headed back into the rythym section, this time I was going to hit the center. The 1st one was great but then the dreaded false neutral reared it's ugly head. As I gassed it to do the second set all I got was a panic rev. I repositioned myself and just as I went to kick it back in gear I felt the bike lunge forward but not in time to stop my foot from kicking it back down into neutral yet a 2nd time, just in time for the 2st set of doubles. Both feet came off the pegs and think I may have exposed my BVD's. I somehow managed to save it but not untill after I had entered the whoops again. I felt both shoulders pop and it felt like I had no upper body strength at all. It took a second to get it back together and to loose a spot or two.

The next few laps things started coming back together. That is untill I made a pass in the air in the double / tabletop section. The guy in front of me didn't double and favoured the middle of the track. I jumped to the side of him and caught a hay bail with my peg. I was told I tore the heck out of that bail of hay but it didn't seem to affect me too much.

I felt like I had really struggled in the main event especially after having such a great ride in the heat. I finished up in 4th place and am still healthy, had a lot of fun and that's what it's all about for me. :yeehaw:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Great race report Jeff, I felt like I was there. I haven't tried AX but it looks like it's a young-mans sport. I have a lot respect for you.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
rv6junkie said:
I haven't tried AX but it looks like it's a young-mans sport.
I'm just glad that everyone in my classes, both nights, were in it for the fun. Everyone except for one person on the 2nd night was great to race with. The one individual in mind I've ridden with before so I knew what to expect. I took my time and watched before I made my move on him, that's when I snagged the hay bail.

Both nights there were so many pro's there that they had qualifiers and only about half made it to the main. That was some of the best pro racing I've ever seen.

Top Bottom