1st Official ride/review of my 05 CRF450 (vs My RM250 2t)

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
OK, so I finally got my bike put together and here is what I noticed.

We went out to the high desert/hills with some single track and fire roads. Some of it was rocky, some was sandy and a lot of whoops on the fire road flats.

Here is what I am comparing

2t=1997 rm250-runs perfect, new top end, jetting, pipe and silencer

4t=2005 crf450-Scotts damper, all the works connection bracing, Allied triple clamps (top and bottom), Pro taper bars.

Obviously I think the 4t is heavier. It is actually easier to put up on the stand (maybe the back end is lighter?) but it feels heavier when riding (i'd be curious to know actual weights).

So, I went from a 2t to a modern 4t with a Scotts damper. In some ways the damper was a life saver, especially when in sand, when jumping whoops or when the front wheel is jumping offf rocks.

I did notice that I think I was able to go faster much easier on the sandy whoops. This may be due to a few things: 4t torque, Scotts, Suspension (forks feel MUCH better, no more wrist breakers like on my RM) and the wieght to keep you straight? Also on the whoops on the RM I HAD to keep the front wheel off the ground all the time or I would get bucked or something, on the CRF, I was fast either by keeping the front wheel off the ground OR just letting the front suspension do the work (I think this is mostly a result of the superior front suspension).

I think the much improved suspension helped me to also jump the occasional whoop or doubles easier. For some reason I felt like I was almost able to get some air on every little bump just by preloading the suspension, give a little gas and unload the bike. I sort of felt like I was on my full suspension mountain bike at times, for some reason my RM wouldn't do that.

Climbing was generally easier, but the bike does feel heavier and harder to manipulate when a lot of steering/avoiding large rocks is necessary. I think that sometimes It was harder to climb (or ride as fast in the single track stuff) because the bike is heavier, AND the Scotts damper was making it a bit harder to turn (had it set up on 2 full turns at first, which was great for whoops, but NOT for single track, so then I dialed it down to 1 turn. It was better, but still not as good as my RM). So on the RM I was able to turn very quickly and throw the bike around, but on the CRF, I had to predict where I was gonna go a little further ahead (is this because of the Scotts?)

Climbing was also a bit easier because I could "lug" it up slower, technical, rocky hills, BUT for some reason after being on a 2t, I had the feeling that since there is a lot down low on the 4t, it (powerband) will keep climbing, but it really doesn't, the power kind of flattens out.

I did find myself going a bit to fast a few times, in different conditions.

Later in the day, I was learning to pull in the clutch when going down techincal hills (due to the engine breaking).

The brakes also work MUCH better (like my buddies 05 YZ250). I kept locking up the rear brakes going down hills, is there any way to give it more modulation or less touchy (I hate it too touchy)??

In some ways it was harder to ride and more fatiguing: Heavier bike, heavier steering (Scotts) and wt higher up in the chasis.

In some ways the RM is more fatiguing: Have to always keep in pinned and wound up, also the suspension wasn't as good, so I had to be much more careful.

In some ways the CRF was easier to ride: Up slower hills, when riding high speeds long distances, sandy whoops.

In some ways the RM was easier to ride: Single track, rocky fire roads where making very quick turns is important.

btw, the CRF seat seems a lot more level and easier for me to get on and off, but the wt makes it harder for me to lean over and start, or balance/hold it up when I stalled it up a technical uphill.

ANY THOUGHTS???

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
rodH said:
ANY THOUGHTS???

I'm a confirmed 2 stroker and 250's are my favorite offroad bikes of all time. So since you asked...

A good suspension revalve and a steering damper for your RM would be cheaper than a new CRF450, and the finished product would be lighter than the 4t. :p

Seriously though, thanks for the report and I hope you enjoy the new bike. I've been thinking about going the same direction, but my dialed in and Scott's equipped 2t works so well, I just can't justify replacing it.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
yes, no doubt some of the differences you are feeling are two vs four, but also you are riding an eight year newer bike with much fewer hours on it...

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Magazine writeups have become so lame it's refreshing to read a report from one of our own, and am glad to hear you are enjoying it.

My last bike switch (7 years ago) was from an old tech DR350 to an almost-as-old tech 250 2 strk. Comparing the two was not fair as one was built for trail riding and the other racing, though the DR could hold it's own when plowing through rock-strewn trails and climbing anything but high-horsepower hills. I found the 2 strk to be superior everywhere else, and $ for $ better for Joe average as it started with higher perforamce in all areas to begin with. Perhaps a ride on a moder stroker would convice me otherwise, like your experience.

I find it astonishing you rode the Zook without a stabilizer and survived to tell us about it; same for a revalve.

You might want to reach JWW (formerly RMJeff) - he has a '97 RM and switched to a CRF450 (with a WR250F in between).

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
I'm a confirmed 2 stroker and 250's are my favorite offroad bikes of all time. So since you asked...

A good suspension revalve and a steering damper for your RM would be cheaper than a new CRF450, and the finished product would be lighter than the 4t. :p

Seriously though, thanks for the report and I hope you enjoy the new bike. I've been thinking about going the same direction, but my dialed in and Scott's equipped 2t works so well, I just can't justify replacing it.

I have MANY of the same thoughts, I was NOT looking to replace my bike and the only thought in the back of my mind was that if I were to replace it, it would be for a newer 250 2t (I am even a bit of an anti-conformist, as all my buddies have CRF's and I always would kind of tease them for all having the same bikes.. The change came about when I was treating one of my patients (I am a PT) and he was getting out of riding all together and wanted to dump his tricked out but wrecked CRF for a great price. The price was sooo good that I couldn't refuse. I still have my RM, and to be honest if I rode the 4t and hated it, I was planning on selling it and either turning a huge profit or buying a newer 2t with the money (I haven't even listed the RM for this very reason).

Turns out that I think I will keep the CRF, but I do know I will miss having a 2t as well.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I know I would like the CRF, too. But I LOVE the newer KTM 250's. Got to ride an '05 250 exc (with damper) for about 15 miles at Clear Creek and it was SWEET. Best near stock bike I've ever ridden. Besides the damper (every offroad bike should have one IMO) the bike really does not need a thing.

If you are a dyed-in-the-wool two stroke guy, see if you can wrangle a ride on one of the newer orange bikes before you get too attached to that CRF.

Take it FWIW, as I am pretty biased.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
I know I would like the CRF, too. But I LOVE the newer KTM 250's. Got to ride an '05 250 exc (with damper) for about 15 miles at Clear Creek and it was SWEET. Best near stock bike I've ever ridden. Besides the damper (every offroad bike should have one IMO) the bike really does not need a thing.

If you are a dyed-in-the-wool two stroke guy, see if you can wrangle a ride on one of the newer orange bikes before you get too attached to that CRF.

Take it FWIW, as I am pretty biased.

LOL, outside my CRF, my buddies 06 SXF 250 is the 4 stroke I have ridden the most. I have mixed reviews on that bike, I do like it, and I agree, the thing doesn't need ANYTHING aftermarket.....BUT, I heard all this hype, about how it was supposed to get 5+ bike lengths on ANY other 250f, etc, etc.....I had raced my buddy on my dads 04 CRF250 and I can tell you that the difference in acceleration was NEVER even close to that. FOr some reason I am more attached to Japanese technology (this also goes for cars, electronics etc....).

btw, seems like the KTM 450 is down 6-7 hp vs the CRF, whats up with that? less HP and 6+ more lbs=no thanx

Top Bottom