2-Extreme noob-questions. (Shifting & Tranny)

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Just wondering, I should clutch on EVERY shift right?

Will simply banging through the gears once I'm going kill the transmission?

Also.. on a Yamaha RT180, what's the reccomended transmission oil I should run?

Thanks guys.

Dan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Most dirt bikes will easily shift without using the clutch. Banging through the gears should not hurt anything.

Most dirt bikes are also very happy with 10w-40 automotive motor oil in the transmission.

The clutch is very useful for controlling power delivery, but use is optional when shifting.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
DannyMoto07 said:
Just wondering, I should clutch on EVERY shift right?

Will simply banging through the gears once I'm going kill the transmission?

Also.. on a Yamaha RT180, what's the reccomended transmission oil I should run?

Thanks guys.

Dan

My cousin told me i dont need to use the clutch when i shift. As long as you let off the gas then shift and get back on it. IF you sat of the gas while you shift there will be problems.... And i have had my bike for 3 years. And i hardley ever use the clutch for shifting. And the gears are fine.

MichiganRider

Apr 13, 2007
Until i read this, the thought of not using the clutch had never crossed my mind. I use the clutch for every gear change no matter what, always thought it would mess with my trans. Personally i use the clutch and i would recommend you do, its a free world do what you want though :laugh:

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll have to judge when or not to use the clutch depending on speed and such, but as long as I'm not going to blow it up or anything then that's good to know.

I also chose to run 80w transmission fluid... it's a synthetic made especially for 2-stroke transmissions. MTL is the brand i think(?)...

Thanks for the help!

Dan

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
That's what the dealer told me to run... it was the same as the Yamalube he suggested. Looked it up in the computer and everything.

Dan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
So what are the scenarios for not using the clutch? Once again for racing I understand the lack of clutch and even then I'd rather see someone powershift than not use the clutch at all. For trail riding on the bike you bought do it a favour and use the clutch, no one is racing you from point A to B.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
ctdyno said:
um, 80w seems abit much, waaaaaaaaayy too thick
I ran 80wt Maxima for years in my KX & YZ with no problems. Also, I never use the clutch to shift, just for delivery :ride:

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
I only use my clutch in corners and on hills, or if I need to hop into the power band when my RPMs are a little low. To each his own..it's just how I like to ride.

FoxRider_4

Mar 25, 2007
use the clutch you dont have to but u should and if you dont at least let off the gas between shifts and im not sure what wieght but i run amsoil synthetic in all my bikes

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks guys, you've all been a great help.

I think what I'll do is just kinda feel it out depending on the trail... muddy, woodsy, snowy, rocky, hilly, twisty... Clutch.

Straight, even, grassy, sandy, packed dirt, pavement... no Clutch.

I have only shifted the transmission by letting off the gas.. Almost exactly like an auto-clutch transmission. But like I said... hairy stuff will need a clutch, just to prevent hammering on the plates.

Dan

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
First of all, you've already removed two links from your chain, which is really a "no no." This indicates excessive chain and gear wear, meaning you could possible snap a chain, doing irreparable harm to your engine case. Secondly, clutch plates are relatively cheap and still easy to find for your bike. Gears are not. 80 wt gear oil is fine and not thick like 80 wt motor oil. If you abuse the hell out of your clutch, you probably won't need new clutch plates more than once a year. If you ride sensibly, they may last several years.
I recommend you use your clutch as designed. I also recommend you go ahead and start looking for new front and back gears and chain. And don't scrimp and buy a $25 chain. You get what you pay for with chains. You need to change the gears and chain at the same time. Putting a new chain on worn gears will just ruin the chain. Enjoy the bike. Sounds like a great deal of fun.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I actually just priced new sprockets on Dennis Kirk and they're only about 40 bucks for the front and rear. I'll have to look for a good chain though... I think it's a 428 size.

Dan

Top Bottom