Mar 16, 2007
I use my first 2 fingers for the clutch, but for the front brake I like to use my 2 middle fingers. I for some reason just dont like to take that first finger off of the throttle. anyone else do this? should I be using the first 2 fingers?

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
I do same as Gomer. But you should try to learn how to operate them with just 1 finger. That's how all pros do it. Provides them with better grip of bars.

Mar 16, 2007
Yeah I would sometimes grab it with my middle finger only. I guess the best finger to do it with would be your first finger for both clutch and brake? the brake is a bit harder to pull

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
im only new to riding dirtbikes, but i tend to use my first two for the clutch and none for my front break cause i never tend to use it when im in high gears, just cause of the flipping forward motion that seems to happen lol

Mar 16, 2007
its all about front brake, stops you much faster than rear. all rear does is make you skid. you have to slam on the front brake pretty hard to flip over. I have had the front wheel wash out before going over the bars. and when you are going real fast into corners etc. i use both front and rear brake at the same time.

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
I use just my one middle finger on the clutch and my one pointer finger on the break. It helps alot when going into a turn with big breaking bumps so u can grip the bars better.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i use my two middle fingers most of the time. but occasionally i will use my two first fingers on the clutch

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
it takes time but get comfortable- dont worrie about it- i change while i ride- 1-2 off and on-
sometimes you need more grip- you cant just get use to 1 certain way-

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
Yeah I would sometimes grab it with my middle finger only. I guess the best finger to do it with would be your first finger for both clutch and brake? the brake is a bit harder to pull
If you cant lock up your front brake easily with one finger there is something wrong with it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I seemed to have picked up this 2 fingers on the clutch technique while dirt biking. Now, when I ride street bikes, I ride with 2 fingers on the clutch everywhere and you don't need the clutch for anything on the street bike. I find it quite bothersome.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I posted incorrectly before... I used to use two fingers on the clutch for 20+ years until I started riding again on the street. Doing clutch-up wheelies on a street bike has now taught me to only use my index finger on the clutch and always keep it there. I now ride with one finger on the clutch at all times, too (except take-offs and landings).

May 1, 2007
muddy13 said:
im only new to riding dirtbikes, but i tend to use my first two for the clutch and none for my front break cause i never tend to use it when im in high gears, just cause of the flipping forward motion that seems to happen lol
Front brake is very important if you want to do something like, i dont know, slow down. . . As long as you do not jam at it you will not lock it up and the proper braking method as far as I know is to start with the rear then about a half second later start with the front. Theory is that if you are loose already in the back your back tire and engine will be slowing down first so that the bike will not want to spin around from the conflict. If the front is doing all of the braking while the engine is still reving down and pushing the bike you have a chance of it getting loose on you. About fingers, use whats comfortable.

Top Bottom