2 Q's-Rear tire size and front end question

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Just wondering what size tire everyone is running out back. Only a handful of rides on the stock 100/100. I was thinking that next time I'd go up to a 110/100. Recommendations/experience?

Also - front end comes up awfully easy. Aside from standing up on the steep hills, what to do to minimize the front end coming up when going up steep hills. Standing up is generally a problem as my feet are used as "outriggers" on the gnarly ones! Also getting a lot of front end push (stock Dunlops). I guess riding up on the tank more will help, maybe I need to upgrade the fork springs as mentioned on the justKDX site (I'm 6', 185#)...

Thanks for the help to a new KDXer ('03 220).

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The 100 will give you a little more wheel spin which may be good sometimes. I tend to like the 110 most often though. As soon as the stock front wears out get a S12 or Dunlop 773 front. BIG difference in handling. As soon as the stock rear tire wears out get a S12 also. BIG difference again in traction. Those stockers are pretty much useless. I know its hard to keep the front end down on those BIG MONSTER hills at Copelands Cove. Most folks have never seen hills like these. A gripper seat helps keep you stay up on front of seat. I know its hard but keeping your feet on pegs makes it much easier when going up hills.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I'm running a 110/100 VE33, it looks a little skinny compared to the 756 it replaced

I think the Power Reeds have helped minimize my loop-out problem, I have a much smoother bottom end now, (No! Not that bottom end!!) ;)

And the gripper seat cover I just got in the mail oughta help some more, I'm always sliding back on that ugly blue stocker!

I've also put in heavier springs, front and rear, this seems to have helped some too, as it does not start tracking from side to side like it used too on steep climbs

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If hill climbing is your game: remember to climb in as high a gear as possible, two fingers on the clutch to keep rpms up and you stand up. If you have to sit down for a turn or something, skoot way up on the tank and stand back up asap. Get your nose out over the front fender! Normal KDX second gear is pretty fast for some climbs and backing off and on the throttle will tend to make the front wheel come up, using in first gear. I suggest using a 12 tooth sproket in front to make second gear more flexible. Fork spring changes which have been discussed many times here are a big help in the entire riding arena.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
John, this is Reels. Glad to see you got a KDX! I've tried 'em all and they all wear out just as quick as the other. Most everyone uses the S12 around here.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've been running a 110 Maxxis IT. Great tire. Long lasting a at $42-$45 a hoop I don't mind tearing 'em up.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I'm running the 120 Maxxis IT. It looks huge on the bike but it really works well for me. Try going to a tall seat foam. It will allow you to get further forward on the seat without needing to stand up. Keep your feet on the pegs. Tell yourself that at all costs, don't put your feet down on hills. It will swing those big legs back as you dogpaddle up the hill and the bike will always walk away from you while you look like you are doing a superman off the back of the bike. Lowering the front forks in the triple clamps will also affect front end lift. Keep RPM's down low. Good reeds like Wibby suggested as well as a flywheel weight to keep from stalling will help out there.
The only reason I contradict the high RPM advice offered in an earlier post is that you stated you have the KDX220 and not a 200. The porting of the 220 is much more conductive for low RPM torque were the 200 is set for high rpm power. Good Luck!

Last edited:

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Which Reels? I know a couple.... ;)

I had a 756 on the ATK and it wore pretty well, although the previous owner had studded it so that had a huge impact on wearability. Sounds like I'll be due for some fork springs in the near future. That should help with the push, although I have yet to bottom hard on the stock springs with stock settings. Dad hopped on the other day and admired the "plushness" of the ride (his 450EXC is pretty firm). After a few more rides (roughly at 50 miles total now) I'll see how the suspension has settled in and adjust from there. Thanks for the replys gents!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom