TraceDeBrake

Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

I'm new here.... great web site lots of good info ....

I bought a KDX 220 2001 and i'm in the process of rebuilding it.

I ordered a set of fork spring from RACE TECH to suit my weight.
what i'd like to know is the correct oil level,
(or what you guys had succes with ????) because RACE TECH only give you a range ...

and what grade of fork oil do you use .... because the manuel says 5W but the dealer says 10w ...... i did some research and it looks like from '97 up to 2000 they say 10W and 2001 and up it's 5W ( or vice versa don't have the number with me)

My fork use the stock valving by the way

thanks for your time

Pascal.

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
The difference in the oil will effect the way the forks react, this should depend on the springs you have bought with regard to your weight, in full riding gear.
Do a search on this site and you will have more info than any dealer will give you.
I have the up-rated fork springs and went to a heavier oil wt to suit me.
Lots of info here.

droopie69

Aug 19, 2002
robwbright said:
From what I've read here, a lot of guys just use ATF in their forks.

I use it in the gear box and the forks. The do it all oil! I bought my 200 used, so I don't know what springs are in the forks, but I put a 5.4 kg on the rear, ATF in the forks and a little higher level than stock and I am happy for now. I am sure as I get faster on the bike I'll get some heaver springs.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Use real fork oil, blend the different weight oils if you want a specific weight, it does make a difference. Ask your self what weight does a automatic car tranny likes? Most likely not what your forks like. I think I have 71/2 wt in mine. I should remember soon as I blew a fork seal yesterday :ohmy:

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
There are a lot of people out there, myself included, who swear by Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It holds up well and is generally cheaper than genuine fork oil. It is estimated to be about 7-1/2 W (although I have no idea) and is available on Sunday from most auto parts stores when all the bike shops are closed. The bottom line is how well it works for you. I run it in my forks on my '04 KDX200 at 100 mm from the top of the tube with the fork completely compressed and the spring and spacer removed. It works well everywhere I go.

By the way, I'm running .42 kg/mm springs on the front and I removed two shims from the base valve shim stack. Thuis setup works real well for me at 230 pounds rider weight. Not related to your question, but I also went one size bigger on the shock spring.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
It all depends on your weight, riding style and the intended use.It may work well, but not for everything or body. Thats why they sell fork oil in weights.

Top Bottom