2-stroke cylinder repair..Who to go to??

DaRooster

Oct 8, 2005
Hello all,
Last week I had my '01 CR125 out and the engine seized. Got it home, disassembled engine to find out I had a circlip failure and needless to say a pretty good set of gouges from the exhaust port to nearly the top of the cylinder was found. My question is: Where can I find a quality cylinder repair shop, and if anyone has had a previous failure, what kind of repair am I looking at (boring/honing, stripping and re-nickeling, etc). This is my first cylinder repair project so I want in done right and need to send it out. I've seen sites for PowerSeal USA and PhatHead Racing and seem like reptuable shops. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chad

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
PowerSeal does excellent work.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
griffbones said:
When did Eric stop using US Chrome?

It's been a while now.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
griffbones said:
When did Eric stop using US Chrome?
I was thinking the same thing when I read this. That means if I send him a cylinder to bore and plate he sends it back to P.A. to get plated? Then it has to go back to him for port work after plating right? What's that do for turn around time? Last time I had him do some work he was using U.S. and the turn around time was less than a week.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:
I was thinking the same thing when I read this. That means if I send him a cylinder to bore and plate he sends it back to P.A. to get plated? Then it has to go back to him for port work after plating right? What's that do for turn around time? Last time I had him do some work he was using U.S. and the turn around time was less than a week.

Porting is done before the plating. As for turn around time, you'll have to talk to Eric directly.

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Rich, do you know the thickness of powerseals coating. Chrome plating over nikasil? Carbide slicker? Better heat dissipation?

Powerseal's plating is Nickel Silicone Carbide not chrome. They haven't used chrome bores in race bikes since uhh .... maybe the late 70's. :)

When nickel based plating is done correctly they all have similar performance characteristics even though the exact chemistry may differ.

The difference from one company to the next has more to do with the quality control in their process rather the specific chemistry.

Quality control will make or break a plating company.

Last edited:

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Hopefully Powerseal is a good company?
US Chrome has done excellent work for many years, and recently did another cylinder for me, I have always been very pleased with them.
I am sure that Eric very well knows what he is doing, and or who he is doing it with. :-)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
griffbones said:
I am sure that Eric very well knows what he is doing, and or who he is doing it with. :-)

Eric didn't change plating companies just for the fun of it. ;)

scottreath

Jun 13, 2002
Rich Rohrich!?
In all honesty, what do you know about plating chemistry?? ....or US Chrome for that matter. Recently Ive spent a few minutes reviewing the many, many web forums regarding almost universal dissatisfaction with Eric Gorr's quixotic personality and pitiful customer service, Im embarrassed for him to tell you the honest truth....and it seems funny that you would want to hitch your wagon to that train time and time again; I wouldnt waste my time with you, but you've decided it would be cute to spout off about our company that i see you once praised to high-heaven. You know absolutely nothing about why eric parted with US Chrome....I can assure you it had more to do with his well-documented "personal issues" than anything that went on from a quality or service standpoint. I suppose it makes you feel informed and important to sound off on issues that you'd LIKE to know about, but obviously do not
Youre nothing more than a lap dog for Eric Gorr....for such a "plating expert", in the past 8 years I cant recall your ever setting foot in our shop, having any conversation of any kind with you....it's pathetic....get a life!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
scottreath said:
Rich Rohrich!?
In all honesty, what do you know about plating chemistry??

Well I'll be the first to admit I didn't go to law school and learn all the ins and outs of chemistry , but I have enough of a working knowledge to understand how the process works and where it can potentially falter. Having spent a fair bit of time in Maxpower's old shop I got to see a nice cross-section of the problems that can surface. They obviously come from lots of sources, equipment maintenance, care and feeding of the chemistry, apathetic employees. Getting to see some of the failures from Millenium and Langcourt proved to be enlightening as well. While far from an expert it makes the problems I've seen easier for me to understand.

but you've decided it would be cute to spout off about our company that i see you once praised to high-heaven.

I guess you are free to interpret what I posted as "spouting off about your company", but the reality is I merely stated a few facts :

- Eric changed plating vendors
- He didn't do it without a lot of thought
- Quality control will make or break ANY plating company.

Feel free to correct anything that isn't accurate in the above statements.

If it will help clear the air I'm still convinced when you guys get it right you have the best process. It's clear to even the most casual of observers that everyone from end to end in a labor intensive process has to care enough to do good work for the quality to make it's way to the customer end of things. The chemistry specific part of plating is likely a lot easier to control than the "people" part.

You know absolutely nothing about why eric parted with US Chrome.

I know you are a smart guy, you can't honestly believe that.:rotfl:

Youre nothing more than a lap dog for Eric Gorr....for such a "plating expert", in the past 8 years I cant recall your ever setting foot in our shop, having any conversation of any kind with you....it's pathetic....get a life!

I must have missed the point where I claimed to be a plating expert. Ignoring for the moment your weak-sister attempt at a personal attack, I've seen where there were issues technical and personal/business and most of them seemed to be things that could be resolved. Apparently I was incorrect, and you guys have gone your separate ways. Life goes on.

For the record I've been in your shop on a number of occasions, but then I'm guessing you already KNEW that. ;)

Hope to see you at the next Indy Show. Then you can explain to me in person all the details of my various character flaws. I'll even get a haircut before I come down so I look presentable. ;)

Last edited:

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
rich let me get this straight i want to send my cylinder to eric i saw he charges 185 to port. Then do you have to pay to get the cylinder replated since the cylinder is stripped before he grinds on it correct. Also I heard that pro-circuit doesnt even use a right angle grinder to do porting they just hack away with a dremel and probably polish the piss out of everything oh man $250 seems to be awfully high for a clean up. :whoa:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
hot125mod said:
rich let me get this straight i want to send my cylinder to eric i saw he charges 185 to port. Then do you have to pay to get the cylinder replated since the cylinder is stripped before he grinds on it correct. Also I heard that pro-circuit doesnt even use a right angle grinder to do porting they just hack away with a dremel and probably polish the piss out of everything oh man $250 seems to be awfully high for a clean up. :whoa:

You'll have to talk to Eric directly for specific pricing info.

As for Pro Circuit porting, well ..... Caveat emptor. ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom