kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Does any one know of a dual sport 2 stroke (250 or about) bike that comes with a title for street riding. In SC they said if the cert. of orgin says off road only then it can not be converted. Any suggestions,, ? I love my kdx but I have places to ride close that I would rather drive to than load the bike on a trailer. thanks

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I got a tag for my KDX with the title application (which did not say off road only). I did not have any problem. I added a horn and brake light to make it street legal. According to our state law, a motorcycle which did not originally come with blinkers does not have to have blinkers. On the other hand, if the bike came with blinkers you cannot take them off. The KDX is a wonderful dual sport bike.
Good Luck-
JCW

mad_german

Aug 11, 2003
I just got an ohio plate and registration today at my friendly BMV. My dealer gave me a title that looks just like my streetbike titles but it says at the top in bold -- OFF ROAD RECREATIONAL VEHICLE -- NOT FOR STREET USE.

Others around have 2 stroke KTM's with plates, but they said they had to request a specific on road title from the dealer, maybe they usually just have certificates of origin instead of a title just like any car or streetbike, so maybe I got what they did but that all CAPS top line sure doesn't sound like you should be able to get plates.

I asked for plates and she granted. My registration paper lists 'motorcycle' The registration paper from my public land off road use only sticker says 'recreational vehicle'. The frame head VIN# on the street reg paper is there, the color - green, year - 03, make - kawk.

I think she made a mistake. I got no mirrors, no horn, no signals.. A few rides and the heat has left me alone so far, we will see what happens. I have a trail tech speed computer mounted so I know how fast I'm going.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Utah won't "licence" any 2-strokes so a number of riders have managed to licence them in another state. Mine is legally licenced in Colorado and I've never had any problem in CO or Utah.

paul6585

~SPONSOR~
Aug 27, 2002
I see a lot of registered KTMs in NJ and they are probably one of the toughest states for DMV. I am told their titles come without the "For Off Road Use Only" stamp so they are very easy to register. I also hear that VT will register just about anything even if you live out of state.

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
thanks for the input and please send more, I would like to know how to resolve this delima and put a plate on my kdx. I am begining to feel that maybe I might be able to work this out after all. thanks Kevin

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
what has to be done is register the bike in a state that allows them to be registered on the street, or buy one that is already titled for the street and bring it to your state

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
well to register in another state would be to know someone that lives in another state, that would be passing some responsibility to someone you know. It amazes me how states vary, Michigan, will allow you to get a KDX street legal, and also my 02 RM 250 if I have the correct equipment, and pass the test which can come down to passing a sound check at max. My fellow rider in Traverse City Michigan got his endoresed with nothing other than a police officer coming out and looking at it and saying "ok" and signing the required document to be submitted to the state. He did not even check tires, etc., but his wife is a paramedic. I think legislation has a lot to do with it, here in Michigan, there is a lot of snowmobling, and quads, bikes and over 6,000 miles of trails. I love this state but I think winter stinks.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I believe in CA you are out of luck. Period. If it did not come as a street legal bike then you cannot convert it. There was a lawsuit about that recently I believe and the dirtbikers won but I believe that it involved existing dual sport bikes losing their license plates when the law passed. I'm pretty sure no new ones can be issued. Best bet is to find someone who has done it and ask them about it. The DMV employees don't know what they're talking about when it comes to converting to DS. Ultimatly your only solution may be to but a DS bike for trail riding. :(
California Sucks
-John

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I know a guy in NY who registered his KDX200 for the street somewhere in upstate NY. He's now added a KTM 200exc and I believe he's done the same with it. I recall he had to get a title from an adjacent state (NJ or NH?). His screen name is gooby so do a search and perhaps you can find the details.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by DougRoost
I know a guy in NY who registered his KDX200 for the street somewhere in upstate NY. He's now added a KTM 200exc and I believe he's done the same with it. I recall he had to get a title from an adjacent state (NJ or NH?). His screen name is gooby so do a search and perhaps you can find the details.

Vermont, go to linke below:

http://www.aot.state.vt.us/dmv/REGISTRATION/motorcycles/MOTORCYCLES.htm

I think it is limited to under 300cc bikes

Kevin

AlH

Oct 17, 1999
I have both a KDX200 and XR400 licensed in SC. There is a way. BUT- several guys that have done it lately, got it through the DHPT only to get a letter later telling them to surrender their plate. This was found in some sort of audit. If you want to risk it I can tell you (off forum) how to do it. There is some financial risk because you must also get insurance and pay property tax to do it. If the plate is yanked you are then SOL.
Where in SC are you?
Al

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
I am in Myrtle Beach, I knew that I would have to pay taxes and insurance but didnt want to until I was sure of getting a plate. Which part of the state are you in and where do you ride, I would like to find a place that is not so sandy ......pretty sandy down near the coast.

AlH

Oct 17, 1999
I'm near Columbia. I ride all over, my favorite is up in the mountains of NC.
Well, as I said you can get the plate, but it could be pulled later if you are one of the unfortunate ones. Know several guys who lost their plates, then others of us have never been bothered. Seems to mostly have been the recent ones...those of us that have had plates a couple of years haven't been bothered.

I;ll send you a PM on how to do it.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yeah, PM is now one of those upgrades that comes with subscriber or support team.

Top Bottom