mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Good afternoon folks! I was wondering what kind of oil I should use for the '91c CR250 I just purchased. Some folks tell me to use the 50:1 sythetic oil while others suggest a 32:1 type of oil. The motor was completely rebuilt and runs very strong. HAs about 15 hours on it since rebuild.

Don't know what kind of oil is in the tranny but can anyone suggest any, and how often do you change the oil. I'm new to the sport again but can't wait ti ride (snowy here) but I don't suppose I'll be doing any hard core racing or anything.

'Preciate any and all recommendations

braulsy

Jan 14, 2004
I'm no expert but i run 32:1 in my kx250, and in the trans. the dealer told me to run CR tranny oil, something like gear lube i think.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I run Redline @40:1 w/my bike jetted correctly, no spooge.. For the clutch, i use Maxima 80wt, change every 2 to 3 rides.. I just re-placed my original cluth after 2 years of being abused :eek:

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
i run 100:1 ams-oil in my 95 cr250 and i never go through spark plugs.

First of all, running a low amount of oil is a VERY BAD THING, regardless of how "good" it is. Running the cheapest chain-saw 2-stroke oil from the nearest hardware store at 25:1 lubricates far better than any synthetic at 100:1, AND it helps seal the rings better. But I am in no way endorsing chain saw oil.

Second, spooge is primarily a product of jetting and fuel choice. There are hundreds of guys running around 25:1 oil ratio and not getting any spooge. It is the rich air/fuel ratio that causes spooge.

Mobil 1 15w50 is and excellent choice for the tranny. Typically smooths the shifting in bikes that are typically notchy shifters, and does not cause any clutch slippage. Breakdown tests show that it is one of the best oils you can use. Some are afraid that it does not have enough sheer strength, but it runs in thousands of 140hp Yammi R1's with no problems.

As far as two-stroke oil goes, well, I get ragged on all the time. In the past, I have used Pennzoil TCW-III outboard dino oil with no real problems (absolutely NO wear issues or lubrication failures). Leaves the engine pretty clean of carbon deposits, but typically leaves alot of ash in the pipe. I have since switched to their 100% synthetic that seems to burn a little cleaner. Can be had from Walmart for about $20/gallon. I run this in my NSR (because of the oil injection setup), which is a v-twin 250 currently pulling about 35hp out of each 125cc cylinder.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Thanks a lot guyz...

I really appreciate the input fellas. I didin't see any responses at all for quite some time and wondered if I had breached some edicate of the forums.... not sure. If I have or if any of you see that I'm a little knieve at this please give me a friendly nudge as I certainly want to be known as a courteuos and helpful member. Thanks in advance for any of that kind of guidance.

Great info on the oil issues.

WWR - the synthetic oil you use... what ratio do you mix at? I currently have 50:1 synthetic ration. I took notice to what you said about 100:1 and wondered if 50:1 is too little oil. iIt is what is recommend by the manufacturer (for the life of me I can't remember the brand).

Again thanks to all of you.

Mo

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Regardless of oil type, I typically run 32:1 in my YZ250. The NSR uses an oil injector, though, so I dont have to mix the gas. If I was running mixed, it would be around 24:1 for high-revving machine like that (this bike is like two 125's coupled together). Basic rule of thumb; the higher the revs, the more oil you should run. 250's should be between 40-32:1, 125's between 36-24:1, etc. The higher revving engines really need that higher quantity of oil to get really good life from them.

You will most likely have no problems running a good synthetic at 50:1, IF you arent riding the bike hard. If you are one of those guys who rides around bouncing off redline constantly, it is very likely your engine will not last long at all.

Also, tests have proven that the any ratio run less oil quantity than about 32:1 actually decreases horsepower.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Thakns again.

Great information guyz... greatly appreciated.

I am not a person who nears redline constantly so I think I'll use this oil until it's gone then maybe switch to something around the 40:1 ratio.

Thanks a lot!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
40:1 will work great for mild riding in your 250! :)

As for the trans oil... I would try a few until you find what you and your bike likes best.
I don't use the expensive motorcycle stuff anymore BTW...the automotive stuff that I can get IMO is just as good.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
for your tranny use your fav. brand in 10w-40 semi synthetic works well full sythetic
will make your clutch slip if you dont want to spend a bunch on 2 cycle oil run yamalube 1 16 oz bottle make 5 gallon at 40/1 my self i use castrol semi syn 10w-40
and golden spetro (gold) at 42/1 which 1 bottle makes 4 gallons

Last edited:

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
It is not the "synthetic" label that causes clutch slippage. It is the additive package in the oil. Mobil 1 is a full-synthetic, and many people have seen is actually reduce clutch slippage. I have even seen the Mobil 1 reduce slippage when the user switched from a "motorcycle specific" dino oil.

Rule of thumb; stay away from the oils that say "Energy Conserving" on the label on the back. Many of these oils have friction modifiers in them that cause clutch slippage.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Shell Rotella T Synthetic just went on sale at my local Wal-mart for $12.84 for a gallon. Not sure I will use it in the bikes, use non-synth Rotella T in them, but man it's a good deal at the lower price for synth...

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
I love this site!

So glad I found DNR. Many thanx to one and all.

My wife is beginning to think I'm on some kind of singles chat site 'cause I'm on it so much. It's the knowledge and thoughfulness of the members that kep me comin' back!

You dudes R great!

Top Bottom