mxrider992

Dec 18, 2006
im looking for a new bike, but don't know what to get. im looking into a 125 two stroke or a 250 4 stroke, but need opinions. thanks for the help
1) 5'7'', 180 pounds
2) semi-agressive
3) plan to ride mostly backyard and woods, some track
4) i wont race
5) ill do my own repairs/maintinence
6) any brand will do
7) im looking for around 2k to spend, give or take 500 or so

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Fill this out so we can help you out.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Given your current bike, the 125 would be much more of an adjustment, so I'd probably recommend the 250F.

Be careful to find a used one that has been well maintained - you don't want to grenade an engine.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
robwbright said:
Be careful to find a used one that has been well maintained - you don't want to grenade an engine.

This is another thing to consider, do you have the funds on back up just incase you grenade your 4 stroke? It is much more costly than a 2 stroke to fix, just a fact you have to think about.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Rhein said:
This is another thing to consider, do you have the funds on back up just incase you grenade your 4 stroke? It is much more costly than a 2 stroke to fix, just a fact you have to think about.

I really wouldn't trust a 4 stroke that I paid 2000 for. On the other hand you can pick up a real nice 2002 125 2s for about 2200 with a fresh topend. If you do go the 4s route check it out before you buy it. Make sure it don't blow smoke. It should have so much compression that you can stand on the kickstarter. Check the plug and air cleaner. If it back fires or makes any kind of weird noises don't take it. There is still 4 strokes out there that are in good shape for about 2500 dollars but take into account that that year and model are going to be needing topend work soon.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom