gplracer

Aug 24, 2003
I would like to get a 250cc bike. I am 6'2" and 191lbs. I grew up riding on trails and always had a street and trail bike. Now I am 37 years old and I have the bug again. I rode with a friend at a local motorcross track on a xr250r. I was not riding fast or jumping high but the bike was easily bottoming out. I am unsure about what bike to get for myself. Some people recommend a kdx and others the xr. Would a bike like a yz250 be too much for someone like me? I rode one yesterday and it was like riding a missle. Alhtough i did like it. It belonged to someone else so I did not ride it on the track. Also what about a a 250f? Is that bike easier to ride? Thanks so much for your time and opinions.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Well, I like the ring-dings. A KDX 200-220, or a 250 Yamasakizuki would be mo' better than a 250 4 stroke. Seems if you want 250 power in a 4 stroke you'd best be gettin' a 450.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The 250F is both easier to ride than a 2-stroke 250 and much more competitive than a KDX or an XR. However, it _is_ a 125-class race machine and such will require much more maintenance than either of the trail bikes and slightly more care than a 2-stroke 250.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Are you going to be racing on the track or just occasionally riding it? If youre racing then you should a 250 of 450f or the like. If you are jsut occasionally riding it and do mostly trails then you could get one of the MX bikes a put on a flywheel wieght and change the gearing, but it may be easier to get a KDX or maybe a KTM if money permits.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
As I said in another tread;

A 250 would fit you but why would you want all that power??? You got to have some low end power for trails.

I would get a KDX200/220 or a KTM 200/300MXC.
Save yourself a grand and get a 2 stroke.
Save yourself another grand and get a KDX.

The KDX will make it around the track pretty fast espesially when modified and rode the way it was meant to be rode.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
What I see is a guy who needs MX bike. Even though XRs and KDXs are great bikes, if you're going to ride on a track, they're not the bike to buy.

Now..... a 250 4 stroke is roughly equivalent to a 125 2 stroke. Most 37 yr. olds with off road experience wouldn't want a bike in that power range. So then you'll need to look at a 250 or larger 2 stroke or a 400 or larger 4 stroke.

Though I'm a fan of 2 strokes, I'd love to ride a CRF450R. Honda has been able to squeeze nearly as much power out of them as an open class 500 2 stroke, from what I've read here.

One last item. I rode dirtbikes from age 8 to age 18 and then quit riding. Got into street a few yrs ago at age 38 and back into dirt last fall.

What did I buy? A KX500. I don't ride MX, I trail ride mostly with my 6 yr old. But when I get a chance to get out with the guys, I have the most awesome dirtbike ever mass produced on planet earth. It's not hard to ride or start, like some will say. It idles nicely. And because there are very few parts to wear out and it doesn't rev high, it's a very low maintenance machine.

PLUS: They're very inexpensive if bought used.

Just my 0.02. YMMV. And all the other usual and customary disclosures.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I was in your boat 2 years ago, but off bikes 27 years. I got the 250 MX bike. Scary? Yes at first, but I'm glad I got it. Light weight, better suspension components, more versitile (compared to XR, KDX, YZF). You learn to use the power and want more. A $100 flywheel weight makes it easier to control.

Top Bottom