Aug 3, 2008
The only 2 strokes ive ever owned are weed eaters and chain saws. Every bike or quad i have ever owned was a thumper, but i have been looking at my local classifieds and seeing lots of newer 2 stroke 125s for 1400-2000. I just want to ride with my friends on the mx tracks around here and around the farm. My friend has a crf250f and he does every thing he can to steer me away from 2 strokes so i think im hearing only the bad. Should i save up and buy a 4 stroke or buy a 2 stroke and spend money on gear? btw im 16 with a decent job but the summer is only so long so my funds are limited.

Im a complete noob to 2 strokes, never even mixed gas other than for the weedeater, so any suggestions would be awesome.

What years and models should i stay away from? I dont really want anything older than 2000.
Anything helps
Thanks JAcob

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
BTW, some people have went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and are now back on 2 strokes. Some are still on 2 strokes and most have switched to 4 stroke and are planning to stay there. Nobody is "right" - It's personal preference - don't let your friends tell you what to do.

You're wanting to ride the MX tracks or race? If you're wanting to race, you'll find the 250f more easily competitive.

If you've never ridden a 125 before, you'll be in for a surprise - perhaps both good and bad.

125s are some of the "funnest" bikes ever made (especially if you give them a bit of kick with an overbore. . . ;) . . .).

However, 125s have ZERO low end torque. Some 4 stroke guys would say that a 125 has no torque at all.

You have to learn to shift A LOT and use the clutch A LOT to keep up with the 4 strokes.

On the occasions when I've ridden a 250f or 450f, I always come away shocked at the "ridability". I may not like the bike set up, but the motors are always impressive. My friend rides our entire local track in 3rd gear on his KX250f - except for starting in 2nd and shifting to 2nd for one hairpin. I, on the other hand, sometimes shift to 1st for that hairpin and I go as high as 4th gear on other parts of the track. I have my hands full, so to speak. If I could, I'd have a 250f motor in my bike set up.

However, that friend I'm talking about was about the same speed as me on his previous bike - a 2000 CR125. Now that he has his 2005 KX250f, we're still about the same speed. If I'm in front of him, he's probably not gettting around - and vice versa.

I often come off a starting line filled with 250f's and even 450f's with a top 50% start - and last week I was top three and about to pass for 2nd when the 2nd place guy crashed right in front of me - I had to stop and wait for every other rider to go around before I could take off again.

Anyway, it's 95% bike, 5% rider, and few of us can ride any of the bikes anywhere near their potential.

Riders in the C and D classes are not what you'd call highly skilled across the board - and they're highly inconsistent - so your technique is very important.

Some may disagree with this statement, but it's my opinion that learning to ride a 125 well will teach you to be a better rider when/if you switch to a 4 stroke.

It's up to you - do you want to have a fun bike now and work on your technique or do you want to wait and save up.

Apparently you can afford a 125 now but can't afford a 4 stroke yet. . .

Personally, if I were in your position, I'd buy what I could afford now, ride it and work on my technique - and if you don't like it that much, save up over the winter, sell the 125 next spring and get a 4 stroke.

If you buy the 125 "low", next spring you might even be able to sell it for what you paid for it and not take a loss.

Given the circumstance, if you're thinking of buying a 125 and then changing to 4 stroke next year - I'd probably be looking for a good condition bike 2001-2004 range - you might even find something for $1000-1300 in that year range - if it's in decent condition and runs good, you can't lose much at that price.

Shop around - craigslist, ebay (local bikes you can go look at), newspapers - most papers have classifieds online, so you can look within a couple hundred miles pretty easily.

My '02 RM didn't look very good because the graphics were peeling, etc. . ., but it was mechanically sound and I bought in in spring 05 for $1500. That would be like buying a 2005 bike now for $1500.

Aug 3, 2008
Thanks, man. Unless someone else posts an amazing post about 4 strokes, ill be looking for a 2 stroke. One of my friends that lives close to me has a track, and im just tired of watching so i want something cheap and reliable to play on, who knows from there.

RiderOfTrails

Aug 3, 2008
four strokes arent that great Id rather have a two stroke any day.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you plan to put alot of hours on the bike a four stroke is probly not a good idea. Especially a used one. They can get very expensive to rebuild. A 125 can be completely rebuilt top and bottom for less than a complete head job on a 250f. Sure the 250f has a great, useable power curve but it's not much faster for someone who's a novice. Both bikes will be more than you need. If your buddy pulls on the straights, learn to come into corners harder and get out quicker. The 125 will teach you how to use the clutch to keep the bike on the pipe out of corners. I'd buy a 125 and ride it for a while. You can always punch it out or sell it for a down payment on a new 250f if you really get into racing.

Rainman3090

Jul 10, 2008
not true the 4 stroke is fine for me i mean its a crf 230f a little smaller than what ya friend got, its pretty rugged but i got that cuz i live in wooded area so its my terrian.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's nearly impossible to "make sure it's not going to break down". A teardown and inspection is a good idea.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Compression? Unless you are familiar with kicking a 125 that won't be easy to guage, unless you have a compression tester. Even then, it doesn't mean the piston is good, just that the rings still seal. Ask the seller to remove the seat so you can see the filter. It should be clean. If they didn't clean it to sell the bike, they certainly didn't do it to ride it. All controls should operate smoothly. The engine should be dry and clean. Look for leaking fork or shock seals. RIDE THE BIKE. There's alot of things that become apparent during a test ride and it's the only way to see how the clutch works. Look at the chain & sprockets. Really the cosmetic aspect (plastic and graphics/seat cover) aren't important.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Some states don't issue titles on bikes. If yours does, you should call in the vin before you buy.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
My first bike was a used 02 cr250. It was a lot of power and it had more low end lugging ability than a 125. No less than a year later the cylinder cracked and engine blew on me which came to a 800 dollar bill so I just sold the bike minus 800, however if that were a fourstroke I would guess that bill might have been doubled if not more. Go get yourself a 2 stroke and give it a ride before you hand over the cash, if it isn't what you want than atleast you won't regret buying a fourstroke instead.

wali2408

Aug 8, 2008
i agree 100% that riding a 125 will make you a better rider than getting a 4 stroke two strokes are cheaper and you can get one now instead of waiting.

Top Bottom