2 stroke road trail

2_stroke4Life

Feb 27, 2005
Firstly I'd like 2 say that I love the lil KDX 200, I have 1and its a brilliant machine. However I have now got my full class licience and want something bigger, faster, better suspension. My question is what bigger 2 stroke road trail would other 2strole fans recommend. The bike would have 2 be licensed and I couldn’t sacrifice then kdx's reliability just 4 more power either. My budget is $5000 aus, which rights of the excellent CR500E but not a 98 KTM 300EXC. What are you guys thoughts on big bore two stroke road trails?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I know several people with road legal ktm 300 e/xc's. Quite reliable (pistons last forever but are expensive when you do need one), plenty of power. You can adjust the powervalve to open later for better fuel mileage and eliminate the low end hit, while still having abundant power.

I beleive the '99 model is praised for its 50mm conventional forks which can work quite well with a revalve.

2_stroke4Life

Feb 27, 2005
Conventional?

I did some research and it said that the 98ktm300exc was unchanged until 2000. Also every pic I have seen of 300exc they have inverted folks, are u sure about conventional

2_stroke4Life

Feb 27, 2005
:( Oh well I guess I'll just get a CR500E, i didnt want to because it means i have no money for mods :'(. Does anyone know how much better a CR500E is than 300EXC, power, handling and reliability wise. The only reason I want to get a CR500E is because I don't think any other road trail with come close to it, is this true?

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…