2 stroke vs 4 stroke, any of you noticed this?

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by MikeOK
I ride at 4 different tracks in my area, and I'm on a '00 426. I'm a mid pack and up over 30 vet. I have noticed that maybe 1 out of 30 bikes is a thumper, and they are usually vets like me. I've also noticed in the last couple years that I rarely see a truly fast rider on a thumper. I know of maybe a couple, but most of the really fast guys are on 2 strokes, and in my area it's generally CR's. In the pro and expert races I can only remember seeing one other 4 stoke and it was a YZ250F (this guy would be fast on a Honda trail 90). These tracks draw from between 50 and 300 bikes too. Have any of you noticed this in your areas? The reason I'm asking is that I'm due for a new ride in one more year, and I'm leaning toward the CR250. To me the weight is the main thing, it's not that I don't like my bike. Thanks in advance...
Mike

I ride in Lake Elsinore, CA. There is alot of 4-stokers here!!! And some of the fastest local guys are on 4-stokes and fly! Plus there are alot of pro's who ride here so there isn't one bike that is more popular. I see all kinds of bikes and pro's. It really doesn't come down to the bike! It's the rider. Look at Tim Ferry, he finish the out door season in 3rd. He got beat by a Kawasaki and Suzuki which aren't the most popular bikes at most tracks (most, not all). Now RC is on a Honda people are going to say Honda is the best when RC finishes first, which he domanated 2001 on a Kawasaki.
It really comes down to the bike that fits your own personal tastes or stlye. What ever bike feels the best to you is the one that will make you more confident and faster.
I'm tired of reading " CRF450 is better thatn YZF426 or CR250 is better than a YZ250, or a YZ250 is better that blah blah blah.
It comes down to what bike makes you more comfortable and confident!! If you feel the Honda feelas better, get it. If the YZF250 feels better, get it. Try to ride a buddies and get a feel for all the bikes!!

Scott H

Jan 28, 2000
I ride SoCal tracks as well. The percentage of 4 strokes here is very high! Some days almost 50%. With the smaller 4 strokes making the scene, more younger riders are riding them as well. Are 4 stroke riders as fast? Absolutely. But like several others said, it is still rider dependant. I've been waxed by more than one 125 (and even a few 80s :eek:) when on my 426. I've also seen a lot of the guys at the track on fire on the thumpers! Rhyno blew past me on that 450 faster than anyone I've seen on the track, including lots of pros. My 426 made me faster and more stable and confident ...or at least I think I'm faster... :confused: I definitely have more fun riding it! Riding a 250F was a lot lighter and rode great but the power of the big thumper is just too much fun. I still like the 250 2 smokes but I think I'll keep my 4!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey cal, i saw billy who at dirt week also. wow! i didn't know the 426 could go that fast,let alone be ridden that fast,and i own one. between you and me, i think billy who is some sort of cyborg- man/cycle morph or something. i think he actually broke 2 laws of physics on the back down hill straight on the gp track!:eek:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Billy definately made me feel like I had no business being on a bike. I was flagging the tag-team MX in the turn at the top of that hill. It was amazing how fast he came through the turn and down the hill. He was using every inch of the track. He had to get on the brakes REALLY hard at the bottom of the hill once(to avoid slower riders), and rode the front wheel for what seemed like about 40 feet! And it was a controlled 70 mph stoppie!

Traildale1

Apr 22, 2000
The last amateur race I was at (Millville, MN) the 250 A class was 40 riders with 10 of those thumpers. 1st through 6th place were all 426's and were within a couple bike lengths of each other the whole race - sounded like a run away freight train followed by a swarm of bees.

Top Bottom