2 stroke vs 4 stroke, whats best?

JW

Oct 9, 2001
Ok, here it is. I've not ridden in over 5 years and the last bike I had was an old 78 RM 370. I am used to the 2 strokes and have never had a 4 stroker. The technology has changed a lot on them. I want a bike with good punch, able to tackle the mountains here in Colorado, and a good bike to ride some light MX.
What would be good to look at, DRZ, XR 400, KLX, WR/YZF, or should I go with a KDX 200/220, or KTM 200/250. Keep in mind I can only afford about $2500 tops so used for me. Are these 4 strokers even doable?
:think
Thanks a lot guys, JW

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I don't know how the prices are out there, but you might be stretching your budget for a WR(the 4-stroke kind). Of the other bikes you mentioned, only the KTMs are race-level machines. The DRZ can do some MX, as might the kawis, but I'd try and get either of the KTMs.

And yes, I ride a KTM but I don't think I'm too biased, I've never owned two bikes of the same brand back-to-back (well, I dropped the CR125(and the sport) in like 1989 and bought my CR5 in 1998, does that count)?

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
A thumper will definitely do the trick on a MX track and definitely in the mountains. The problem is finding a thumper that can do both in your price range. The KTM's and YZF/WR's will be your only choices, but both will be out of your price range, unless you get lucky.

If the mountains are your main priority, then the XR or DRZ will do perfect. Again, with your budget you will probably only be able to find an XR in that range. You could always get a KDX too, they will fit the bill also.

However, just because you said "light" MX, and $2500 tops in the same thought. You probably won't be happy unless you get an older MX 250 bike. Good luck.

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
Considering your price range and type of riding, I would be leaning towards the KDX. I would think the WR's are out of your price range. KDX's have a lot of nice low end grunt for a 2 stroke and they can also be made to get around a track fairly well. I ride a 2001 KX 125 (144 Punched out) and my buddy rides a 96KDX. He is very pleased with his ride, he rides MX/Woods.

I hope this helps somewhat.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I just moved out to New York from Colorado. You have a couple of good options in that price range.

1) Find a '93-'95 Honda CR250. Gear it down by adding a couple of teeth to the rear Sprocket and you will have all the machine you want for any Colorado situation. Motocross would be a higher priority and riding at places like VDR and Milliken are a perfect match.

2) If you are NOT really going to prioritize MX and places like VDR then there are a few other options. There is a good ATK dealer out there and those mid to late ninties 250-260 ATK's are bullet proof. Most are setup for trail riding.

KDX200-220's are also around at that price. They are the ultimate beginner trail machines and can be enhanced as your riding level increases.

Used Four Strokes with a performance bent like the KTM's/Yamamha's etc don't selll for less than 4000. Stay away from the early Husaberg's. The early Husqvarna's can be had for that price range and are reliable but you need to add a tiller to those ocean liners to steer them in the tight stuff.;)

JW

Oct 9, 2001
Thanks for the input. I have definitely thought about getting a late model 250, say 87-97 mxer possibly. I grew up riding in the mountains of Estes Park, and light mx. I have been really impressed with the new 4 strokes but I think they are still out of my $ range:eek: . I am not sure if the XR has the power I like, and am not sure if the KDX has what I need. The problem is that I have'nt ridden in 5 years so every bike I get on is impressive:confused: . I am worried that when I get my bike, my skills will return from consistency of riding, and the bike won't be enough for me. I am trying to make the best choice with the money I'll have.
:silly:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I would recommend a '98 KTM 200 M/XC, or even the E/XC. If you look around, you can find one for about $2,500. I recently bought one for $2,200 and just had to put in a set of rings, rear wheel bearings, and the lower heim joint. Still came in under your budget. The 200 rips in the woods, has lots of low end, and will do fine on the MX course. It's not as good a beginner's bike as the KDX, but it is far more capable for fast riding. Light as a 125, with the power of a 250. Tough to beat.

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
Keep in mind when people call the KDX a "Beginner Bike", this does not mean its slow, doggy, with big tires.......The KDX is a bullet proof proven off-road rider or racer. I've seen entry level folks on them and I have seen seasoned veterans bearing down on them. The KDX will grow with you and you won't be out a lot of money. Controlable power.......Think about it, you got guys stuffing KDX motors into MX frames......what does that tell you?

Just my .02 cents. I agree with the beginner bike theory, however, its fits the other end of the spectrum as well.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
No doubt, the KDX is a great bike. I don't disagree with anything you've said, and didn't mean to cast aspersions. Still, I think the KTM is a better machine, all things considered, for the intermediate to advanced rider.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Well you were asking for opinions and here is another. In your situation and price range, I would definitely consider either the KDX 200/220 or the KTM 200. They both have power and potential to tackle any of the terrains that you choose. One thing to consider is the dealerships in your area and support that they can give. Ask some of your other buddies that ride for their opinions on the shops in the area. Either way... you can't lose. Just get a bike, twist and shout and support your local riding areas and trails.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I'll echo motohead00 when it comes to dealerships. If you find one you are comfortable with than that can make the difference as MX bikes arn't that different from one another. If you need a do everything bike then you can't go wrong with a KDX. They have good power stock and can be modified cheaply if you want more. Plus they are far more verstile for all around riding then any MX bike. I already went through that process twice in the past 15 years. You'd think I would have learned by now? :D

If you are interested in four strokes the KLX is a nice bike. Very underrated. It is the slimmest, lightest four stroke trail bike you can get in an older model. I'd imagine you could find one in your price range pretty easily. My brother has a '00 KLX and it is a heck of a nice bike. I like it.

bwiers

Jul 3, 2001
I bought both my KTM's used in the price range you are looking at and they have been awesome. I will get a new one at some point but for what I do, they are great! I love the reliability of the KTM because I am always tweaking the kids machines!

Best wishes!

kdx-tex

Dec 11, 2000
Kdx 200's....perfect

I just sold a 96 kdx 200 to a friend of mine so that he could get back into riding....He also had been out of the riding loop for about 10 years he was totally shocked how much power the kdx had...he said he use to have an older honda 500, and he couldn't stand the tire up in third gear like the kdx will. You can find a kdx in the low 2000's if not lower...I only added a fmf fatty pipe and a bigger back sprocket and it was mean...There are so many more mods i could have done but didn't have time...P.S. the kdx is a tank when it comes to spills and falls when you are relearning to ride...oh yeah the parts are a lot cheaper than for the KTM's, believe me my buds can vouch for it

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Tex-kdx Older Honda what? CR? or XR?

Any 500 CR i ever experienced was more than I wanted to deal with. Hope those KDX's don't out power those old monsters! LoL:eek: Or the cost of broken bones will out weight the cheap parts!:scream:

Actually I would like to put one of my kids on a KDX at some point this year. She's tearing up her little XR.:)

Top Bottom