kawakid

Dec 18, 2003
I am getting ready to move up to the 125 class this summer and cannot decide between a 125 2 stroke or a 250 four stroke.
could you answer some of these questions for me....
1. overall which is faster
2.which is easier to do turns on?
3.which accelerates faster
4. are 4 strokes really as hard to start as they seem.
5. will the engine braking on the 4 make jumping harder(and weight) coming from a two stroke(kx100)
6.who would win in a race between the two if equal riders were riding?
7. Which would you buy if you were in my situation>
Thanks

mx416

Nov 2, 2003
I have a '02 YZ250F and '03YZ125. The 250F is faster out of the corners if you arn't fast through them, because of the torque. I am only 145 pounds so I like the 125 better. It's lighter and a little bit easier to whip. As long as you stay on the gas off the ramp, engine braking on the 250F really isn't a problem.

I think that on a sand track, the 250F would be faster because of the torque. There is a 75ft triple at my track with a sandy uphill to it. I've hit it 4th gear pinned on my 125 and still can't clear it (casing it really, really hurts), it is easier to clear on the 250F

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
You really need to ride them back to back, if your able to that is. If you are you need to time yourself, and then think which was i faster on and then have a look at the times. You maybe be surprised, you may not. But also its what one you enjoy riding as well, you may ride the 4-smoke and hate it but your alot faster on it.

YZ125racer

Mar 15, 2004
kawakid said:
I am getting ready to move up to the 125 class this summer and cannot decide between a 125 2 stroke or a 250 four stroke.
could you answer some of these questions for me....
1. overall which is faster
2.which is easier to do turns on?
3.which accelerates faster
4. are 4 strokes really as hard to start as they seem.
5. will the engine braking on the 4 make jumping harder(and weight) coming from a two stroke(kx100)
6.who would win in a race between the two if equal riders were riding?
7. Which would you buy if you were in my situation>
Thanks
Hey. I have a 03 YZ125 and love it. I will try to guide you through your problum :). The overall fastest would be a YZ250F easily. The one that turns the best would be the YZ125, and it has better handling. A YZ125 has better throtle response than a YZ250F therefore it accelerates faster. I have never personaly started a 250F, but I have started and rode my dads CRF450 and that thing is a beast to kick over, But a 250F wouldn't be as hard to start becasue it has less compression than a 450. For jumping the YZ125 would be better because it is lighter. On a supercross track the YZ125 would win because it is lighter, has better handiling, and is quicker. If I were in your situation I would get a YZ125.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I would say that more than anything else, riding style is the most important factor. Some people are faster on the 250F's, others are faster on the 125's. You can't really say that either one is faster on the track...it's all in the way you ride it.

Top Bottom