2 Stroke w/ Splooge: Should I re-jet?

stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
Hi there,

I have a 2001 yz125 which is completely stock. This is my 2nd year of owning it, and I bought it from somehow who basically had it sitting and never used it. (I checked everywhere for signs of wear and found none).

It runs great, has good throttle response - no complaints whatsoever with that bit (I imagine throttle response and "crispness" could be improved just a hair, but not much).

It has never fouled a plug or had any bogging or weird running issues.

But what I am noticing is splooge - which is normal - but its to the point that after a day's riding, there will be a line of it running all the way down my exhaust, sometimes dripping onto the swing arm.

Is that normal, and if not, something that can be corrected with better jetting?

I use 93 octane pump gas at 32:1 w/ the Yamaha brand oil.

Thanks kindly for any info/advice :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Depending on the oil I run, I will normally get a line of spooge down to the end of the can, but I don't get any drips. If the bike runs great and doesn't foul plug, I say don't mess with it. You could repack your silencer, though. If it really bothers you, you could try raising the clip on the throttle needle a position. It doesn't cost you anything, but will lean the bike out some to give you an idea if it will run better jetted or not. I recently switched to Amsoil Interceptor oil. Even at 32:1 and while cruising I get no spooge. The bike hardly smokes on start-up, anymore.

stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
thanks for the quick reply.

I may try some different oil and/or ratio combinations to see if that helps.

Until then, I guess I'll just be patient until it is time to get a new bike and set my eyes on a 4stroke :)

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
stevensj2 said:
thanks for the quick reply.

I may try some different oil and/or ratio combinations to see if that helps.

Until then, I guess I'll just be patient until it is time to get a new bike and set my eyes on a 4stroke :)

when you do that, youll probably have a lot more problems than spooge :nod: . if youre running 32:1, try running 40:1 and use Maxima SuperM oil.

250twostroke

May 14, 2007
i have a 2000 kx 250 and im running 40:1 red line full synthetic. my friend has a 2002 rm250 same bike basicly and he is running 40:1 semi synthetic (dont know the brand, sorry) and he is getting spooge... all our jetting is the same..same plug... try redline at 40:1 (the good stuff) good luck

stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks for the info everyone :)

Should I just switch directly to 40:1, or would it be beneficial to ease towards it, say 36:1.....38:1, etc until I find a ratio that brings the splooge down?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think you'll see much of a difference at all by switching. But, there is no reason you can't just switch and would have to ease it to any ratio.

Top Bottom